What is it? CCIV

Page 1 of 2
Just posted the latest set, I'll be away from my computer all day tomorrow so I'll be posting the answer page early in the morning.
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com /
Rob
R.H. wrote:

1135 is a rotary slide rule
Brian Gladman
1129: Looks like a support wheel/caster for a swing out desk section. 1130: Some sort of ophthalmology tool. 1131: A butter churn paddle. 1132: Ice chisel. 1133: Lawn sprinkler. 1134: Tool for crimping a large connector onto large wire or cable. 1135: Rotary slide rule. Or none of the above. Puff

1132- slips under shingles? shakes?, hooks around the nail, and you pull down on/hammer on the handle to cut the nail, allowing you to remove a course from the middle of a roof/wall, without taking down the courses above.
Dave

It's not for shingles, but you've got the right general idea.
Rob

#1129 Honing Guide for handplane blades. #1130 Optometry? #1135 Slide Rule?

I don't think I'm going to do all that well on these...very strange and unfamiliar devices this time around.
1129 - It's plain that this is a caster designed to clamp onto something flat, probably a chunk of metal bar stock or a tongue projecting from something. The caster has rolled a good little bit, from its appearance, so it's probably not for use on furniture that gets moved only seldom. Perhaps this is a part of a sliding door or window? Perhaps some sort of piano moving appurtenance? Perhaps an infeed or outfeed roller for some machine tool?
1130 - I'm guessing this optical instrument is somehow used to determine prescriptions for eyeglasses, perhaps in a "self-service" sort of mode, allowing the user to determine the correct script themselves. It could also be some scientific instrument to determine e.g. the relative brightness of a luminous object (or its absolute brightness, if related to a known standard).
1131 - I assume the single tang on the far end gets secured into a handle of some sort. If chucked in a brace, it could be used to stir paint or other liquids.
1132 - I suspect this is a tool for repairing shingle (or possibly slate) roofs; the small V-notches are seemingly to cut off nails, and the chisel end probably to trim the shakes, shingles, or slates to proper size.
1133 - This appears to be a stand to support three somethings; possibly trash or recycling receptacles.
1134 - This looks as thought it could be used as a very poor cherry pitter, but I suspect that's not the intent. Maybe it's a device to trim, install, or remove round electrical insulators.
Now to see what other people say...
--
Andrew Erickson

    [ ... ]

    Having read some other guesses (including this) after posting my original guesses, I will amend this to say that it is for removing intermediate (presumably damaged) boards in clapboard siding on a house.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
1133. Pneumatic 3 man pogo stick.

Artemus wrote:

3 peron bidet

Full marks for the most entertaining answer!
I want to see that in action.
Phil
--
Dear aunt, let's set so double the killer delete select all.
-- Microsoft voice recognition live demonstration

How does that thing work for Berdan primers? Boxers maybe, but there's only one prong and it's surely too tapered to fit through a Berdan flashhole?
Andy Dingley wrote:

You're looking at it from the wrong end I think. Doesn't look like it goes through the flashhole, looks like the tooth cuts into the primer from the base end.
--John

Berdan cases are de-primed from the outside. Usually some kind of poke it-- pry it--push it monkey motion, none of which works really well. Another method is to hydraulic them out, using water and a piston. Messy on a good day.
I have seen new manufacture brass shotshell cases for sale. Italian IIRC. They were all Berdan primed.
Bill
Rob

When squeezed shut..the chisel jams deep into the Berdan primer and as you open it..it rips out the primer cup
Gunner
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
1135. Otis King Patent Calculator
http://www.svpal.org/~dickel/OK/OtisKing.html
1129 - chisel honing guide?
1134 - I remember seeing one of these just before I blacked out during the vasectomy.
1134 - Otis King Patent Calculator with 429 and 430 scales for finding logs and anti-logs. A cylindrical slide rule. http://www.svpal.org/~dickel/OK/OtisKing.html
--
Russ

"Our doubts are traitors and make us lose the good we oft might win by

    Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking as usual.
1129)    Hmm ... looks as though it clamps onto a board to support the     free end as the other end is fed into a saw or something     similar.
    Or -- it is clamped roller up to a board or an extension below     the saw table to support a long workpiece as it is fed into the     saw blade.
1130)    This looks like an optician's set for measuring your eyes to     prescribe the proper glasses.
1131)    What this looks like to me is the working end (minus the long     wooden handle for stirring whale blubber cakes as they are being     rendered in the "try-pot"s.
    If the end is sharp, it might even be one of the flensing knives     for stripping the blubber from the carcass of the whale.
1132)    The right-hand half of this looks like the bit from an air     hammer used for street demolition.
    However, the left-hand part is not part of that -- though it     might be used for working a stuck bit out of the macadam road     surfacing.
1133)    Hmm ... perhaps a bicycle rack -- or perhaps an interesting     form of jack for changing tires without needing to call in a     breakdown service.
1134)    Hmm ... the jaws look like they are set up for poking an     indent in the ferrule of a wooden handle on a steel tool such as     a shovel or a file handle. The indent might be sufficient to     hold the ferrule in place, or a nail might be driven in through     the hole produced by the spike.
    However, the half-circle in the handle does not seem to fit     that. Could it be a tool for reloading a particularly old style     of rifle cartridge?
1135)    Now *this* is something which I have wanted for decades -- a     cylindrical slide-rule.
    It gives greater accuracy by stretching the usual 10" or 20"     scale to a much greater length, allowing more subdivisions.
    Scale No 429 appears to be the standard C or D scale, while     Scale No 430 appears to be the log scale, since it is actually     linear.
    Are there replacement scales stored inside it?
    Now to see what others have guessed.
    Enjoy,         DoN.