Went back to auction again...

Went to the auction again today:

Acquired a Delta 12.5" Planer (Model 22-560) with 3 extra sets of blades, a "dust chute", and an instruction manual for $200. Looks extremely similiar to the new model (#TP305); does it take the same blades? It seems to be in extremely good condition, probably seldom used, but in retrospect it doesn't appear that I got a bargain on it. Next time I should maybe take a tool catalog with me... : ) In this case, I think I got confused with the price of jointers... Could have got one of those, a Jet, for $150, but moving it would have been an issue--and Lew said I didn't need one yet.

Also got a #5, 14" Bailey plane (with 3 patented dates listed, the last was

1910) for $30. It will complement the Bailey #4 (9") one I picked up last week. If you followed the recent thread I started on building a workbench top, I'm curious how effective will these planes be in smoothing the top---compared to taking it to someone with a drum sander (as was suggested).

I was an "aggressive bidder" on both of these items. I've got to learn to cool it, a little. :) By the way, it was really good to hear the sound of the planer when I turned it on at home (after reading the manual, honest). The sound of silence was a distinct possibility--I like to think I just took it for granted that the other bidder tested it!

Regards, Bill

Reply to
Bill

Could have got one of those, a Jet, for $150, but

It would seem to me that while you did not steal the planer, you certainly did not get hosed.

You got the Delta for the same price as the Jet, assuming that the 3 extra sets of blades are worth the $50.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Thank you for saying I did not get hosed on the deal. Even though I am not ready to use it for anything at the moment, I think it's a tool that will help teach me something--I'll be setting it up, thinking about a stand and outfeed table, and thinking about applications. I'll be getting some hearing protection too!

The auction is every Wednesday and I usually have that day off, so I'm sure my wife is happy about that. I "broke the news" that I thought I was going to need

12 pipe clamps tonight at dinner tonight (to complete a workbench top--other thread).

Here's a twisted way of looking at things: if the Delta planer hadn't been at the auction, I woudn't have one. But now, I am a happy owner of one so how do you put a value on that? :)

To those who have a workbench planer, do you prefer using it on a stand (about $60)? It seems, at least, a nice way to get it off of the floor.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

20 years ago I had an AP-10.

Did it's job until somebody needed it more than me.

That said, the Ryobi of 20 years ago, is not the Ryobi of today.

Bought a DeWalt 733 or 734 about 10 years ago.

Had the blades sharpened once or twice.

DeWalt Tech Service resolved a small problem on the phone long past warranty.

It doesn't owe me anything.

Have had an 18VDC DeWalt drill and panel saw kit for over 10 years until it got legs.

Drill didn't owe me anything either.

Based on my experience with DeWalt products, they would deserve prime consideration if I were looking.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Ryobi is probably the lowest quality of just about any national brand. Roughly the same as Black & Darker. In my opinion I wouldn't rank Dewalt much higher. Of the three brands you mentioned Makita is head and shoulders above the other two. I own several Makita tools and have never regretted getting them.

Just my $0.02

Gordon Shumway

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

snipped-for-privacy@green.rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote in news:h6nl8l$htq$1 @blue.rahul.net:

Don't go by brand name--go by reviews. I was looking at planers several months ago and the Dewalt DW735 was getting the best reviews of the portable planers.

Sometimes you can pick up a good tool from a junk manufacturer. (Other times, you pick up a junk tool from a good manufacturer.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I plan on buying a DeWalt - whenever my Ryobi AP-10 finally dies :-).

But you're right. DeWalt is a much better choice today.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

If I recall correctly, DeWalt always was a quality product. After it was bought by B&D in an effort to restore lost quality I am not = so sure.

Best bet is to read spec sheets carefully and examine pros and cons of = each item carefully. I have seen cases where DeWalt was a best buy and others where Makita = was.

That said, I have an old belt sander, nigh onto 50 years, by B&D with = which I will never part. I also have picks from both DeWalt and Makita I swear by.

Notice, nothing by Ryobi.

P D Q

Reply to
PDQ

I have to agree with Larry. I bought an AP10 (the first portable planer) a number of years ago. I hae sharpened the blades a couple of times, and it has worked like a dream. I do have to watch it for snipe, but that is true of most small planers. I'm sorry to hear that Ryobi has gone to the dogs in recent years, but I do stand by the AP10.

Len

Reply to
l-lopez