Web page software

OK, completely off topic here. But I know there's a diverse array of occupations and hobbies lurking about here. I'm wanting input on web page software that may be better than frontpage. It's just for messing around with a personal page, but I've heard there are much better choices than FP. I have a Dreamweaver CS3 book, but not the software. What are everyone's preferences in this arena? THANKS!!

Reply to
Steve Barker

FWIW, and although I still have my old e-woodshop.net website on a server running FP extensions, I switched my now primary website to a web based solution ... Squarespace ... and will not go back to computer based website design software. Cheaper to host, much more robust uptime, and there are multitudes of templates that make it relatively easy to maintain a modern look and feel, with built-in automatic device compatibility.

All told, I've spent less than two hours, total, "designing" and maintaining the below:

Reply to
Swingman

So the best way is by hand.

My son codes by hand, I used to code by hand. It's the most efficient, and fastest loading.

Most coding in corps are still done by hand.

You asked.

Reply to
woodchucker

I use an early code generator (messy) and some hand coding.

Try here:

Richard

I agree with the above posts, pretty much all that software creates unmaintainable code, fine for a hobby site, sloppy for a business. Oh, and frontpage has got to be the bottom of the barrel.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

On Mon, 06 May 2013 18:28:15 -0500, Steve Barker

Depends if your ambitions are just a simple web page or something a little more professional. After that comes the commercial websites, a BIG step above.

Dreamweaver CS3 is out of date by today's standards and the current Dreamweaver is pretty expensive, bit it is a full fledged developing program should you want to buy it. Know that the learning curve is pretty involved if you want put it to its fullest use.

For personal use, I might consider one of the following.

none

I really like your site Karl. It is so, so clean and uncluttered. Easy and painless to read and navigate, it's pretty to look at, too. Top shelf, like your woodwork.

Nicely done.

I have seen other endorsements for Squarespace, and the folks that use it love it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

There are a ton of them. I messed with several WYSIWYG types some years ago, didn't much care for any. It wasn't that they were hard - I used to write system software in assembler - just too "full featured" and I wanted simplicity.

I had been using a word processor I really like - Atlantis Ocean Mind - and it has the ability to spit out what you write into HTML so I started using it for my very limited need for web stuff. Works well and is easy. I did all the stuff for the site in my sig with it, IrfanView and MS Paint. I noted someone mentioned Karl's nice site...all of it could have been done the same way.

dadiOH

I certainly agree that the woodworking is excellent, but not the website. Too much on one page. Any time the viewer has to scroll down repeatedly the emphasis is lost. And on a slower link the time taken to load is noticeable. I would have taken each of the photo subsets and put them on separate pages with links to them from the home page.

But that's a minor criticism compared to a lot of websites I've seen.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It works great now if you have a fast Internet connection. Personally, I find that the less "clicking" I need to do the better I like it.

Reply to
Bill

I use Dreamweaver and I run a lot of php scripts. I like the ability to ha ve complete control over my content and how it will be presented. Dreamwea ver does a really nice job of letting you modify the primary page as well a s the embedded php scripts in tab format.

brian

Take a look at the CoffeeCup suite of tools. The basic program is an enhanced code editor that lets you preview as you go. They also provide a suite of tools, graphics and even some pre-designed formats that can be used.

Reasonable priced stuff.

Reply to
RonB

wrote

Dreamweaver is made by Adobe. Just this week, Adobe announced that it would no longer sell "boxed" software. Every thing is now a subscription service. Just like the local heroin dealer. I have no doubt that is the future model for a lot of things, especially software. And I am also certain that a lot of folks don't want to pay a fee every month. Particularly if they do not use the software all that much.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

For the amount of no hassle time I have into it, it has been a bargain. Your points are valid, and duly noted. Thanks.

Reply to
Swingman

Thanks for the link. Only one strange thing on that page. The 12 in the chart are completely different than the ten in the list.

Reply to
Steve Barker

that particular home page never did finish loading for me. I gave up.

Reply to
Steve Barker

complete control over my content and how it will be presented. Dreamweaver does a really nice job of letting you modify the primary page as well as the embedded php scripts in tab format.

Thanks. Know where I can get it?

Reply to
Steve Barker

code editor that lets you preview as you go. They also provide a suite of tools, graphics and even some pre-designed formats that can be used.

THANKS! Saw that one in another link.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Yeah, I noticed that about M$ also. Can't buy office with a disk in the package anymore. Have to dl it. I'd be a month dl'ing that. Guess I'm sticking with Office 2003.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Try Apache Open Office--a product of the open-source community. It's free and it will open your MS Offfice files, at least Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.

Reply to
Bill