Waterproofing A Plywood Box

Page 2 of 2

Does it have to look nice? Waterproofing was the original use for duct tape (originally duck tape). Wrap the box entirely with a few layers of duct tape. Use white duct tape for the top layer.
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

I think that is backwards. 'Duck' tape is a brand of duct tape. Duct tape per se, of various sorts and commonly used to seal ducts, predated that specific brand. See also "gaffer's tape".
--

FF

On 16 Jan 2006 14:03:21 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Nope.
Waterproofing (WW2 ammo boxes) was the original use. Ducts were later.
Andy Dingley wrote:

Interesting.
A filmaker I know says the original use was hanging lights for the movie industry (gaffer's tape). Waterproofing and ducts came later.
Today 'Duck' is a brand name for a particular duct tape, though I do not doubt what you say about it being the term used in WWII. If it was a word already in common usage, it would not have trademark protection though.
--

FF

On 17 Jan 2006 09:06:39 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

The original stuff was made from "cotton duck" (a weave) and was waterproof in the way that ducks obviously are. The name followed almost immediately. Although it wasn't initially issued (outside the factory) squaddies and bilkos soon realised that it was useful and took to saving the old stuff from packing cases. When it was issued to the field the weave was changed to the easy-tear stuff we know today.
It was also invented by Johnson & Johnson, not 3M. They knew how to make medical strapping tape, which is broadly similar. 3M invented pressure-sensitive adhesive tape in general and also maskign tape, but not duck/duct/gaffer.
snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

"Duct tape" was developed as "duck tape", a waterproof tape for sealing ammo boxes in WW2.
It is about the worst possible thing for sealing hot air ducts, as the glue gets gummy when hot.
For ducts, try "silver tape" or "aluminum tape". Works much better.
"Gaffer tape" is adhesive backed fabric tape, generally black. The adhesive releases easier than duct tape, and leaves less residue. It's very strong in a straight pull, but easier to rip than duct tape.
Chris