Waterlox question

I've struck out on Google, so here goes...

I'm finishing a mahogany table with Waterlox sealer/finish, the medium sheen stuff. This table WILL occasionally get water dripped on it, as it's designed to hold a terrarium. Do I need to add a urethane topcote to the top?

Normally, I'd just go ahead and do it, but this table is made of pattern grade mahogany, some of it quarter sawn, and I'm really digging the look of the Waterlox alone and don't want to risk spoiling it. I've applied three coats, with a light 0000 steel wool rubbing in between.

If I use urethane, I usually use Waterlox brand.

Thanks! Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Barry, I had a similar situation with a walnut dining table. I wanted to use an oil finish, but walnut gets that white ring from water. I ended up putting many coats, probably 8 or 10 on and have had no problems. You could finish a piece of scrap and see if water stains it so you would know how many coats are necessary to protect it.

Roy Girolami Apex, NC

Reply to
MGirolami

Apply a bunch more coats. On mahogany, I apply 6 to 8 coats(or more if you're patient). Makes a huge difference.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Stein

Thanks guys.

I have a parallel test board going with the project, so I'll keep adding Waterlox until the test board shows enough water resistance.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

In my experience, so long as you use several coats of the varnish, you will be fine, so long as you don't let water stand on it for a long time. I use Waterlox on my workbench, among other things, and have been very happy with it.

dd

Reply to
dsquare

This is why a linseed oil finish was admired, but required *many* applications through the life of the piece to get the stuff into the wood and for it to polymerise. People settled for a couple of coats of quick-dry urethane instead.

David.

Reply to
Danny Boy