Very Thin Steel Sheets

Page 1 of 2
I'd like to obtain a piece of steel or aluminum that's about .001x6x24 inches in dimension.
Can you purchase such a thing? At a reasonable price? (ie. $20 or less)
JP

mcmaster.com search for "shim stock" they have as thin as .0005.
HTH,
Paul

You can get a roll of .001 steel shim stock 6" x 100" roll for about $7 + shipping at McMasterCarr item#9500K11. They have aluminum also but the thinnest they have is .002
doug
How thick is Aluminum Foil that you use in the kitchen?

Roll of aluminum foil I have here mike's out at 0.001
John
On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:38:39 GMT, "Leon"

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 00:38:39 GMT, "Leon"

Varies. It can be .25mm. 0.001" = .025mm You'd have to pound it with a mallet, so for uniformity it's best to go commercial as has been suggested.
Aluminum flashing is .002 in, I think. Is that too thick?available at builder supply houses. Comes in small rolls, 18" or 24"
Bill
I think it may be closer to .020". .001" is about the thickness of thin paper. IIRC a dollar bill folded in half is about .005" thick.

OK, I went and measured it. According to my feeler gage and calipers, it is .002 ", .05 mm. It came from Home Depot. I also measured the dollar bill folded in half; your are right there.
"> I think it may be closer to .020". .001" is about the thickness of thin

Aluminum flashing that's only two thou thick?
What department at HD did that come from?

and what application is it sold for?

** Try Ace Hardware. www.acehardware.com
They call it flashing. They call it .0101 ga but it measures .002 inches, about the same thickness of a sheet of 24 weight computer printing paper.
http://home.earthlink.net/~billbernice1 /
Includes "Poems of the Sea"

It's 0.009 or a 0.01 with an HD fudge factor :-).

I measured the flashing again with different calipersand have to admit (red faced) that it is closer to .01 inches. My apologies to everyone.
Bill

Two thou is foil. Thanks for the followup.
Bill Orr wrote:

jerk retort! After reading a bunch of this thread I thought this would be a good time to go get my new Harbor Freight set of micrometers and see what was going on. I have a piece of that thin aluminum flashing from HD and I have aluminum foil. The flashing measures 0.011 inches (three places), aluminum foil (not heavy duty) measures 0.001 inches.
Don't feel bad. Wait till you get so old you start telling everybody the snow was 4 feet deep every year when you were a kid. So someone looks up the stats and finds out it hasn't been more than 30 inches deep in the last 95 years.
snipped-for-privacy@worldnet.att.net says...

at Lowes :-).

HD does quality control?

Yeah, they want to make sure they don't have too much of it. -- jc Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection. If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net