Vacation wood highlight on Vancouver Island

I was back in Vancouver this summer to visit family. Part of the time my wife and I were over on the west coast of Vancouver Island. To get there you drive through the pulp and paper town of Port Alberni. Driving through I saw a little sign for a sawmill museum/heritage site. Never one to turn down the chance to see historic woodworking, we went to see the place. Well, it's WAY more than a museum!! The Alberni valley historical society is slowly rebuilding a 35 acre early 20th century softwood saw mill site. The mill is back in working condition, complete with log pond. They have rebuilt (or are rebuilding) many of the other buildings and equipment. We had to catch a ferry, so only could stay a couple of hours, but I did get to talk with one of the sawyers.
Here's the web site for the society: www.alberniheritage.com. Click on the McLean Mill label. They have pictures and a few short video clips. Be sure to note that there are two circular blades used in the sawing--one blade is above and slightly behind the bottom blade. This allowed them to cut some pretty big logs.
david
--
snipped-for-privacy@mac.com
www.brndogwoodworks.com

I have a pair of circular saw blades that my father left me. One is about 28 inches in diameter and the other is better than 30 inches. I am still wondering what the hell I am going to do with them. Right now they are sitting outside my shop and if I can't find a good use for them I am going to likely toss them. Maybe I should just hang them on the wall and leave them there. Any suggestions?
On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:29:04 GMT, "R. Pierce Butler"

I thought that all old circular saw blades were required to be made into clocks ;-)
That 30" one should make a clock that even a half blind man like me could see from across the shop ;-)
Dave Hall

I have 3 clocks now. One of which is a large timeclock. I think 3 clocks and 3 thermometers is quite sufficient in a 15x30 space.
The saw blades were used on the front of his Gravely garden tractor and has been used to cut up some rather large trees that had fallen due to storms, etc. Darn noisy critters when in use. One sees that thing spinning at a good clip and realizes just how fragile flesh and bone is.

Make a kiddie table. Teaches the kids not to put their elbows on the table.
- Owen -

That is so wrong. :>