Using both 6" and 4" for DC Ducts

I was reading recently about the idea of using 4" ducts for vertical portions of your dust system when you otherwise use 6". What if you have a significant amount of duct work between the vertical run and the machine? After my main drops straight down 3 feet to the floor, I must run another 6 to 8 feet to my table saw. Should I run that portion in 4" as well or should I go back up to 6" inch?

SteveP.

Reply to
Highland Pairos

Actually, what you should for the secondary horizontal run is run the 4"

*inside* the 6". You might think that would add up to 10", but if you work the numbers out, the area is equivalent to about 7.2" diameter. Or you could just run everything from the main branch as 4".

todd

Reply to
todd

The idea behind this is that for some combinations of duct length and dust collector power, the airflow is enough to suspend the dust in 6" horizontal sections, but the airspeed in the vertical sections was just not fast enough to keep all the dust suspended.

By going to 4" duct for the vertical sections, the airspeed is increased and the dust is kept suspended.

If this is similar to your particular scenario, then you would do best to go back up to 6" for the horizontal run.

It all depends on your specific setup, how long the runs are, how much airflow the dust collector gives you, etc.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen