Basement: hiding 4' ducts

I'm finishing a basement. I'm perplexed what to do about the ceiling. Half the ceiling has been drywalled. The other half has so much pipes and wires I plan to do a suspended ceiling. The problem is for half the ceiling I have a little over 4 feet of ductwork to conceal. There is only about 1.5 inches of clearance from the doorways for me to work with. Would using 3/4 plywood work or would it sag?

Reply to
Mike E. Fullerton

Lots of materials would work, if done well. Meaning- how the framing's done- spacing & such. OTOH, some inspectors would have problems with flammable materials like plywood, vice fire-resistant like sheetrock.

barry

So to paraphrase, you're looking for a material that can be used as a ceiling that is at most 1.25" thick and will span 4'. Is that right? If so, have you considered a drop ceiling or ceiling tile system?

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney

It takes some creativity and work to make it successful, such as possibly the ducts could be cinched up tighter to the joists, some metal strapping may work while it is tight against the ducts, etc, etc., not being there it is hard to advise.

"Mike E. Fullerton" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
EXT

Right.

A drop ceiling is the same as a suspended ceiling right? I would be happy to do that. But someone told me it would not span 4 feet. Also how could I handle the corner? I can't have it that low all over as it would cover other door openings and the cupboards.

Reply to
Mike E. Fullerton

I don't know very much about drop (suspended) ceilings. But I believe that the hanger wires are typically placed every 4 feet. That would mean that the metal tracks can span 4 feet . I'm not sure how much clearance would be required between the tracks and your ductwork.

The basic upshot of my comment is that if you have to span 4' and have only 1.25" of thickness available, think metal, because I would expect you to need the greater stiffness. BTW, that's a large duct you have,

4' wide and 15' long.

You'd have to figure out a reasonable way to transition to whatever ceiling you are using elsewhere. For example, if you are using gypsum board elsewhare, you could frame a small soffit and bring the gypsum board down and around to meet the suspended ceiling system.

BTW, you could also consider having the duct exposed and painting it. Might look OK.

Cheers, Wayne

Reply to
Wayne Whitney