unfortunate

Page 2 of 2
Then there are the remarkably detailed work orders like the Telco people arriving to install a special circuit with a printout some seven feet in length giving the characteristics of every wire from the original switch to the current location. The installer generally wads it up carefully, pulls out his handset, and says "now what is it exactly you want?"

That's because once the installer is at your premise, all he cares about is where you would like the jack. <G>
He often needs at least the last two pages of that work order for cable makeup, doubler (on some xDSL T's), crossbox location and assignments, and smart jack type and options. He needed that before you even knew he was coming.
Page one may contain data as to what tests he needs to run from your premise to the far end at turn up. The information for the other end provides information for him to set up his test set(s), to properly condition the other end for the tests. You just don't get to see it used, so in your narrow view it seems like wasted paper.
When things don't go as planned, the whole seven feet of paper can be a great resource. Many telcos have tried, on several occasions, not giving all the information to the technicians. Instead providing a filtered document listing only "needed" data. It doesn't work very well.
Barry
"German council employees mistakenly felled one of the country's most famous trees after mistaking it for a five-year-old ash." Perfect thing to read at the end of a long day full of bad news. I take the loss of trees almost personally after slowly going bald while watching all the Dutch Elms disappear from the neighborhood.
@aol.com says... ... snip

... you trying to say there is a direct correlation between those two events?

my scalp, but If I ever wrote a novel, those two bittersweet events would be tied together. In 1960 when I moved to the Chicago suburbs all the streets in my neighbor- hood were the floors of magnificent 60 foot gothic archways created by the elms; there were at least a couple of mature trees on the parkway of each house. By 1968 as my hairline began to recede the trees were being decimated. Two parallel events, my way of getting some humor out of it. Maybe if I'd started using some Rogaine, the trees would have come back.
@aol.com says...

:-) Between the two of us, maybe we could revive the elms and the American Chestnut if we started using Rogaine.

Mark & Juanita wrote:

If that's what it takes, count me in too.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

Uh huh... Probably had to take extra time to remove the guard rails also.
snipped-for-privacy@swbell.net says...

Yeah, and I'll bet the brass plaque saying something on the order of "Village Famous Tree" really screwed up a couple of saw chains before they finally got through it.
Wayne K writes:

Yup. That mentality really does exist. Many years ago, when my wife and I first married, I discovered that her ex ran over small trees or cut down larger ones because they interfered with straight progress of the lawn mower.
We planted about 65 trees in the first 2-3 years we were married.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce