UHMW source

Anyone have a good (reasonable) source for UHMW? Looking for 1/2 & 3/4" thick by 4" wide by 36" or better long. Bigger is OK too, I have a saw :)

Reply to
dadiOH

?id=785&step=2~Mark.

Reply to
Woody

Thanks for those links, Mark. As is clear, the prices vary lots. Some High Density Urethane Foam boards go for $ 300.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet 1" thick. I know that's a rip off. I can buy them for less $ 75.00...the catch is, I have to by a couple of train loads.

If one has the time, trying to find some manufacturer who uses a lot, and begging for scraps, is the way to go. To see Rockler try to fetch those kinda prices is an eye-opener. Makes you wonder what else they mark up like that. It is a thin line between what the market will bear and what is fair.

Robatoy

We have a local plastics house that does custom cutting and fabrication. They sell scrap at good prices. Might check around your area.

Tom

Reply to
tomwalz

Thanks for those links, Mark. As is clear, the prices vary lots. Some High Density Urethane Foam boards go for $ 300.00 for a 4 x 8 sheet 1" thick. I know that's a rip off. I can buy them for less $ 75.00...the catch is, I have to by a couple of train loads.

If one has the time, trying to find some manufacturer who uses a lot, and begging for scraps, is the way to go. To see Rockler try to fetch those kinda prices is an eye-opener. Makes you wonder what else they mark up like that. It is a thin line between what the market will bear and what is fair.

=========== What does one make with these? Seems a well placed stick-on Teflon pad should suffice for many uses. Two pads make a line; 3 pads define a plane.

Reply to
MikeWhy

866-456-2872 we make 4x10 sheets from 1/4 up to 6" thick. Poly Phil
Reply to
phil.lamb

got anything bigger, Phil?

:-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

866-456-2872 we make 4x10 sheets from 1/4 up to 6" thick. Poly Phil

Any details on minimum orders?

Reply to
Leon

Lee Valley and Woodcraft sell assortments of UHMW at fairly decent prices.

And this place occasionally has offcuts available;

____________________________

Reply to
surplusdealdude

The problem with a stick-on Teflon pad is then you're creating a space between the jig and the table. If you use it on a saw, for instance, bounce becomes a factor.

Reply to
surplusdealdude

Check the yellow pages for plastics. Local supply houses will frequently sell off cuts, at a decent discount.

Also, ask them who is buying what you are looking for in quantity, those buyers may be willing to sell you off cuts, and scrap. Sign shops are a great source of lexan and other poly carbonates, in a variety of colors.

And, there is always ebay. You can get some good deals on some fairly exotic stuff, (like graphite and molybdenum disulfide doped acetal), there. It can be a real bargain if you find a seller close to home, so shipping isn't too high. I got a 3-ft by 4-ft piece of a 1/4-inch thick glass filled phenolic sheet, with a birds eye maple face for $30. It came from a shop in Nevada that did custom interiors for high dollar executive jets. With ebay, it really pays to do some research first though, so you have some idea of value, before you start placing bids.

Reply to
Jigs-n-Fixtures