Uh-oh

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1. Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.
I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10 linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?
Thanks
Larry

rec.crafts.metalworking might be a better place to ask.
On 6/28/2012 6:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Can you put the shaft in a DP chuck and use a file on the spinning shaft?
Yes a machine shop could reduce it no problem.
Depends on where you live. Here in NJ quite a bit. Out in the midwest in rural areas much less.
On 6/28/2012 7:56 PM, Gramp's shop wrote:

Gramp's shop wrote:

-------------------------------------- It's a job for a reamer and a lathe.
Depends what you have available for barter.
Probably cost me a 12 pack.
Lew
I had a 3" diameter (X 2') shaft reduced by a machinist friend. He chucked it up and sanded it to size, then polished it with finer sandpaper. Didn't take much time, 5-10 minutes. Being a friend, he didn't charge me, but I would think any charge would be nominal.
If you have a local tech school nearby, a student might do it for a gratuity fee. This would be a task a student is capable of.
Sonny
I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10 linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with the discs attached? ================================================================It would be no problem for a real machine shop. Good luck finding one of those.