Uh-oh

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1. Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10 linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with the discs attached? If so, what's a fair price for that kind of service?

Thanks

Larry

Reply to
Gramp's shop

Gramp's shop wrote in news:Ra6Hr.6858$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe12.iad:

rec.crafts.metalworking might be a better place to ask.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Can you put the shaft in a DP chuck and use a file on the spinning shaft?

Reply to
Leon

Yes a machine shop could reduce it no problem.

Depends >

Reply to
tiredofspam

-------------------------------------- It's a job for a reamer and a lathe.

Depends what you have available for barter.

Probably cost me a 12 pack.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I had a 3" diameter (X 2') shaft reduced by a machinist friend. He chucked it up and sanded it to size, then polished it with finer sandpaper. Didn't take much time, 5-10 minutes. Being a friend, he didn't charge me, but I would think any charge would be nominal.

If you have a local tech school nearby, a student might do it for a gratuity fee. This would be a task a student is capable of.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

More on Project Thickness Sander: So I finished gluing up the plywood discs to the 1 inch steel shaft. Bearings arrived today. OD of the shaft turns out to be 1.003. ID of the bearings a smidge under 1. Needless to say Part A doesn't go into Part B.

I don't want to start over, so is there anyway I can reduce about 10 linear inches of shaft by about .004? Could a machine shop do this with the discs attached? ================================================================= It would be no problem for a real machine shop. Good luck finding one of those.

Reply to
CW