Two Formica (Plastic Laminate) Questions

Page 1 of 2
1. Can you roll those 4x8 sheets of Formica (TM) up for easier transport? Say into something with a 1' radius? 2. Where else can I shop for plastic laminate? So far, I've only seen sheets at Lowes. I have a small need now and really don't want to buy a whole sheet.
thank you!

The tightest I have ever seen is about 30 inches. Actually a whole sheet may be smaller than you think. IIRC you can get it in as small as 26" x 72". Any one that sells the product should be able to order the smaller sizes for you. Typically a store that specializes with counter tops, bathroom, or kitchens can get you the smaller sizes.
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:28:13 GMT, "Leon"

size, but then maybe for vanity use or something?

up to 12' in 2' increments. Different brands differ slightly.

The typical roll is closer to 2'. I like to tape the inside end to prevent scratches (I've done a lot of Hunter Green:(). I get mine at either my local full service lumberyard, the orange Borg or Meyer Laminates. Check the yp under kitchen or cabinetry or counter parts/...?

Yup. 18" _diameter_ is about as tight as you want to go, however.

All the borg carry small (2'x4') sheets, in a limited range of colors. Many stock a few colors of 4'x8', and can special-order practically any color you want. *LOTS* of other sizes are available on special-order, too. e.g. 3'x12'.
Ask at your nearby "real" lumberyard. they probably will -not- stock it themselves, but can point you in the appropriate direction. To a custom-countertop maker in the area, or similar.
Also - look for damaged corners on the sheet. For some reason the white sheets always have broken corners, I go to the service desk and ask for a discount - usually end up getting about 20-50% off the sheet.

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 04:00:27 GMT, "patrick conroy"

what he needed for the countertop in his Rv from the dumpster.... He was going to buy some but the owner told him that they throw away large pieces all the time and to help himself out back...
patrick conroy wrote:

Yes you can. In fact, this is usually the way the local suppliers deliver smaller (one to ten sheets) orders.
A tipplet: Own a roll of plastic stretch wrap. If you're like me you'll eventually own one for the garage and one for the shoppe. Stretch Wrap, The New Duct Tape.

For me I go to the laminate rack at work. The current orders are kept in individual slots. The stuff that's overage is kept at the end. I leaf through that and pull something suitable. Now, since you don't live near me, check around at some of the Pee Lam shops (counter tops/plastic laminate casework) and see if someone wouldn't mind selling something they have that's extra.
Or, dumpster dive. You would not believe what gets thrown out.
On the other hand, extra (off cuts from a 4 X 8 sheet) are handy to have around.
UA100

Cool - I have some left over from my last weightloss endeavor.

My brudd'as cabinet shop has the same deal. Since he's about 30 mins S of you, I'll email you where he puts the spare key.
Thanks - I think I'll drive by some Pee Lamm places today.

Yes. Maybe not quite that tight, say 30" diameter (15" radius).

Well, there's Home Depot.
You might have better luck trying local cabinet shops, to see if they have any leftovers that would work for you.
Or maybe we could make a deal. I have a couple pieces left over from doing my own kitchen, Formica brand "Basalt Slate" pattern. If you're interested, email me at woodworks-at-milmac-dot-com.

Thanks Doug... Lemme see if I can find a convenient dumpster. If not, I'll be giving you a jingle.

That's a little tight. It's a little closer to 2'.

Lumber yards and cabinet shops will order it for you. Lead time is usually 2-3 days depending on the laminate. I have yet to see anywhere (short of the distributor) that stocks all colors. Or even a few colors for that matter! SH

1' radius = 2' diameter, probably OK although I prefer 30" dia. 2' radius = 4' diameter. Much looser than needed.

My mistake. I meant 2' diameter. SH

Sooooooooooo, the 1' radius is too tight but the 2' diameter just right?
UA100

Yeah.....LOL

Alright, ALRIGHT! SH - It was the size of the box though <g>

Ya know, sometimes it just doesn't pay to try to understand what I am saying. <g> SH

LOL... Thanks for being thick skinned.