Two Barrel grip jigsaws: Which is best?

Bosch 1591EVSK versus Makita 4341FCT. Both seem pretty nice -- what do I get for an extra $30 for the Bosch?

A better jigsaw.
Brian.
<snip> A better jigsaw.
I'll second that.

I am very happy with my Milwaukee jigsaw...but I wish I had a barrel grip. The Bosch is second to none. I'm not a Makita fan. If I had to do it all over again?
Bosch barrel grip...yup.

Why the barrel? I've not used either one but was leaning towards the top handle. Maybe I'm just conditioned to look for the handle like on my crappy B & D that was about $20. Ed

Some people feel the barrel is easier to control. I see no advantage to either except I used to use my dads when I was kid back in the 60's and his was a barrel grip. After a while his would get almost too hot to handle. The top handles are better insulated from any heat build up if that is still a problem.
wrote in message news:design-

crappy
It gets hot and edges begin to dig in to your hand.

Maybe it's because the hand is closer to the blade and closer to the work. It also allows you to rotate the saw on it's longitudinal axis so you can work upside down without having to go into contortions. I do use it upside down in confined areas when I install countertops.
The switch in the Milwaukee is so big, it covers almost 1/3 of the inside handle. So in the beginning, I was constantly turning it on when picking it up. I got used to it now. It does a wondeful job when I cut patterns etc.
One thing I do NOT like about the Bosch barrel, the switch is on the side and sometimes, when cutting out a sink hole in a counter top, the switch will be right against the wall/backsplash so I can't get at it to turn it off with backtracking my cut. I don't know if they still put the switch there, but the one I use is about 12 years old. This one also has a screwdriver you stick in the top handle to change blades...a real PITA. And it is not VS.
LOL...maybe I'm due for a new one? Mmmmm the Festool Trion PS 300 EQ looks like it would fit the bill? http://www.festool-usa.com/portando/artikel/artikel_weiterleiten.cfm?id=2 89 or may be a Bosch? http://www.mytoolstore.com/bosch/jigsaws.html damn switch is still on the side...then again, so is the Festool for a hundred bucks more...mmmm
naaaaaaa.. still saving for my Lamello.
Maybe next Cristmas.?
Ho ho ho
Rob

I've used both and prefer the top handle. others prefer the barrel grip.
Snip

I like mine too! Dave

DITTO! My Milwaukee (actually it's a rebranded & recolored Swiss-made AIG) really _is_ "Heavy Duty". And that I got it brand new for $80 by playing the price match games make it all the sweeter :-)
--
Enjoy life and *do* well by it
-- it might well be the only chance you get :-)

Seconded.
Russ, a very happy 1584 owner

I owned a Makita barrel grip in the late 80's Maybe it's been improved, but it was very "jumpy" if I remember correctly, especially in the high orbit settings. I remember the base getting all bent up. The Bosch saws are so smooth, I cut my finger one time because I thought the blade had stopped moving after releasing the trigger, and it hadn't, because it actually runs on for a couple of strokes owing to less friction in the moving parts.