Turning Blanks

have a set of 3 maple turning blanks that I recieved from a friend who works for a tree service company. The 3 blanks are about 6 inches across and about a foot or so long each. They were cut last week and appear to be branches. They are all straight and look to be some clean looking blanks. The bark is still attached. How long should I wait to let these dry before I attempt to mount them on a lathe and turn them?? Should I strip the bark off now to help them dry out better? Most of the turning I have done is with glue ups of various species of KD stock, so the drying and possible splitting, checking and cracking that comes with fresh cut logs is new to me. Any one have any first hand experience with this kind of thing or any advice you'd be willing to share?? Thanks!!
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:29:02 -0700, marc wrote:

You'd probably get more advice in rec.crafts.woodturning but here's my 2 cents worth.
Split the logs in half such that the pith is thrown away and coat the ends with green wood end sealer. If I've got wood that likes to split such as fruit wood, I coat everything but the bark.

That's correct, but turning wet maple is a lot of fun, and easier than letting it dry first. Turn it down to about 10% of the starting diameter, or about 3/4" to 1", and let it dry slowly ona paper bag, with a couple of handfuls of shavings. In a month, or two, reload, and finish it off.
Or turn it to finish now, and let it move.
Patriarch

The way you've said that, you want the OP to take a 6" piece of wood and turn it down to 1". That's a whole heck of a lot of waste. Are you selling a "make your own chipboard kit"?
Puckdropper

Well, that's how bowls are often made. You could use a coring or bowlsaver tool, but the raw material is firewood, for the most part, $225 a cord delivered.
Your choice, of course.
Patriarch

I think he meant get to rough size leaving 3/4-1" wall thickness but it didn't come out right. I could be wrong.
-Leuf