Turning 40 next month...

Page 1 of 2
So I'm turning 40 in October. I feel like I need to spend some money - lots if possible. So I'm thinking some good hand tools... But I don't really know what to buy - got any suggestions
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 00:18:14 +0000, john smith wrote:

Red sports car convertible...
---or---
A full set of Steve Knight hand planes.
-Doug
--
"If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchange apples
then you and I will still each have one apple.

Don't forget the female escorts.

Why ---or--- ? ---and--- works, too.
My wife is fine with the convertible, as long as there isn't a new blonde in it, too. ;-)
Patriarch
I tend to get more enjoyment out of getting something that I can justify to myself ( if it is really justifyable or not). By this I mean if it's something on sale that I would like to have in the future or something used but unique or a good deal. Just buying something new at regular price doesn't give me a real big thrill unless I need it at the moment. There is also more enjoyment for me when I buy tools one at a time, it just gives me more time to get to know them and purchase wisely. Enough of my 2 cents.
"patriarch <" wrote:

Yep, new blondes will get you into trouble. Make sure they've been around for about 20 years.
On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 17:27:08 -0700, Doug Winterburn wrote:

Yup. Nothing like a nice little red sports car to get a midlife crisis off to a good start. :) I opted for a red '66 Porsche 912. It has not helped my woodworking at all, but it sure makes those trips to Home Depot more fun.
Tim

In retrospect, it probably saves you money on those trips. After all, the cargo space in a Porsche is extremely limited, so bringing home big purchases in it aren't possible.
Upscale wrote:

Joe
wrote in message

Yeahbut, if you can afford the Porsche, you can afford the delivery charge from HD.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Hey, I'm not suggesting that it is a truly valid argument, just that it could used to rationalize the purchase of the Porsche. If I could talk myself into the purchase of a Porsche with the idea that it might save me money somewhere else, then Hell, I'm game.
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:17:30 GMT, "Mike Marlow"

In that case, definitely make it a 928. That's a V-8, not a flimsy oversexed volkswagon engine. I took my foot out of it to let it drop out of 1st gear and slow down for the freeway. Benzy put nice auto-trannies in those things. On the way back from the test drive, I had to slow down for traffic so I only got it up to 125mph (on Hwy 78 in LoCal, if anyone groks it.) One car pulled out in front of me when I had slowed down to 80 and I almost spilled my beer. (Yeah, those were the crazy days just before I quit drinking.) Ayup, a 928 is the only Porsche I'd stoop to own. http://www.928s4vr.com/928s4002.htm
--- Is it time for your medication or mine? http://diversify.com Custom Website Applications
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:14:55 -0700, Larry Jaques wrote:

Unfortunately, many of the later Porsches are not really "adult sized" cars. I am 6' 04" and 275lbs. It would require surgery to get me into a 928. :) Besides, the 4 cyl 912s are less expensive to purchase and maintain, and that leaves $$ for my woodowrking tool habit. :)
Tim
On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 17:07:30 +0000, Upscale wrote:

This is true. But the 60's vintage Porsches have quite a bit of interior room. With the back seat folded down, there is plenty of room to put a serious dent in the old Visa. :)
If you really want to spend money I'll be turning 58 in a couple months and the fence on my tablesaw is junk. I could really use a new one.
Congrats on making it to 40 anyway.
Rick

Congrats.
I'm 59 today. No major tool purchases planned for it though. Maybe next year.
Thought about that... Looked at eh BMW Z3, decided to buy a condo instead

A quality (Hirsch or Two Cherries) set of chisels, Starrett combination square, Lie Nielsen planes. Congrats making it to 40, I just turned 50. (Don't forget to max out your 401K plan into USA index funds--you'll be glad you did in 25 years!)
How about a huge birthday party where we are all invited, say in Hawaii and each of us gets a suite with an expense account for the month??

Get a Lee Valley catalog. www.leevalley.com Turn to the page with planes. Order 1 each. Money left? just pick a page at random.