Turning 40 next month...

So I'm turning 40 in October. I feel like I need to spend some money - lots if possible. So I'm thinking some good hand tools... But I don't really know what to buy - got any suggestions

Reply to
john smith

Red sports car convertible...

---or---

A full set of Steve Knight hand planes.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Don't forget the female escorts.

Reply to
Upscale

Doug Winterburn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com:

Why ---or--- ? ---and--- works, too.

My wife is fine with the convertible, as long as there isn't a new blonde in it, too. ;-)

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I tend to get more enjoyment out of getting something that I can justify to myself ( if it is really justifyable or not). By this I mean if it's something on sale that I would like to have in the future or something used but unique or a good deal. Just buying something new at regular price doesn't give me a real big thrill unless I need it at the moment. There is also more enjoyment for me when I buy tools one at a time, it just gives me more time to get to know them and purchase wisely. Enough of my 2 cents.

Reply to
ToolMiser

A quality (Hirsch or Two Cherries) set of chisels, Starrett combination square, Lie Nielsen planes. Congrats making it to 40, I just turned 50. (Don't forget to max out your 401K plan into USA index funds--you'll be glad you did in 25 years!)

Reply to
Phisherman

How about a huge birthday party where we are all invited, say in Hawaii and each of us gets a suite with an expense account for the month??

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

Get a Lee Valley catalog.

Turn to the page with planes. Order 1 each. Money left? just pick a page at random.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

funny... I'm also turning 40 in october.

I feel like I need to stop spending so much money on tools... but I dont really think I will...

Reply to
bridger

John...

Congratulations on turning 40! (If you're not pleased with this, consider what the alternatives are.)

Suggestions? Sure! It's fun to help people spend their money on tools. What tools do you already have that you especially like; and what kind of projects do you most enjoy?

Reply to
Morris Dovey

One of the bronze plane makers should bring out an engraved "40th Birthday" model.

They could call it the "NeanderHarley"

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I actually did buy myself a "Neander Harley" for my 39th birthday.

Another bicycle to add to my arsenal.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Yup. Nothing like a nice little red sports car to get a midlife crisis off to a good start. :) I opted for a red '66 Porsche 912. It has not helped my woodworking at all, but it sure makes those trips to Home Depot more fun.

Tim

Reply to
The Guy

Congrats on turning 40. What day in October? I turn 51 on the 16th. SWMBO gave me permission to buy a DC for an early birthday / christmas present. It helps to be married to the cabinetmaker's daughter. Joe

P.S. A Porsche is nice, but how would you carry a sheet of plywood and 2 x 4's from the borg.

Reply to
Joe_Stein

What day? We will all want to celebrate don'tyaknow. Mine will be 50 in October, on the 12th. No, I do not worship Columbo. But I keep getting the "what do you want" question and I just cannot narrow it down enough to reply.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Bill Pounds responds:

Mine is October 10, but it's a wee bit past 40. As I turned 40, I was single and in a new state and enjoying life. And I was SPENDING some money, even if I drove a blue pick-up instead of a red convertible.

Family tradition: my father's birthday was 10/13.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self

In retrospect, it probably saves you money on those trips. After all, the cargo space in a Porsche is extremely limited, so bringing home big purchases in it aren't possible.

Reply to
Upscale

Your store doesn't have the pickup/flatbed you can rent? Joe

Reply to
Joe Gorman

Yeahbut, if you can afford the Porsche, you can afford the delivery charge from HD.

Reply to
Mike Marlow