Turned handles

I am making a hand tool for custom knife making that'll need a nice hardwood handle with metal ferrule. Unfortunately I don't have a lathe to turn the handle myself. Is there any wood turners in San Francisco who might be interested in doing it for me? I'll provide wood. I am a custom knife maker and in return can provide you with my services like tool sharpening etc.

Thanks, Alex

Reply to
Alex

Do you have the metal ferrule and a full size drawing of the shape?

You going to do the ferrule pressing?

How long does it need to be?

I'm assuming you also need a hole drilled in the handle as well.

How soon do you need it? Most folks are in Santa's Elf Mode 'til Christmas.

I've got a JET mini lathe that might be big enough if the handle is 12 inches or shorter.

I'm in San Jose, near the Rte 85 (West Valley Freeway) and Highway 17.

E-mail me with the specifics and if I can do it I'd be glad to, no charge - and I've got a 1" belt sander, india and hard arkansas stones, japanese waterstones, DMT diamond plates, a Scary Sharp set up, a Tormek and a JoolTool (that I haven't gotten around to using i yet) so I've got sharpening pretty well covered.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

You can customise a drill press to be a very rudimentary wood lathe, and as you're a custom knife maker I would assume you have a drill press, or if not, get one as a drill press is invaluable for knife making.

I'm getting ready to do offset turning, to make ovoid grips.

I'm making a CNC machine next year so that I can make some precision grips for the mass produced knives I want to make to fill a niche.

Regards Charles P.S. You can talk to me off list about knives, or anything you need clarification about.

Alex wrote:

Reply to
Chilla