TS height - best way to raise?

Researching past posts here, I have seen suggestions about TS height relative to user. I'm 6'3" and I want to raise my Dewalt 746 that has the DW mobile base - and I'd like to keep the mobility. Beyond safety and comfort, in my small shop it would be good for the TS to be a bit higher than my other work surfaces so that I can cut large/long stock.

Question: What is the best way to elevate the TS? Anyone have a good system in place - pictures would be great - to raise the saw. If I simply extend the legs and keep the mobile base, should I use steel? If so, any ideas for what type of stock I might look for? Thanks.

Reply to
igor

I too am 6'3" and just raised my table saw height. Average height of a man is about 5'8" so I surmised that the saw height was based on that average. I decidedly raised my table saw up by 5 inches. I used 1" MDF and framed it underneath with 2by4s and I have four 3in castors from Woodcraft (the best around) I have a small cabinet saw that weighs a ton and despite my best try to make a base that would be solid, the sheer weight caused the base to bend. I am in the process of adding 2 inch angle iron to solidify the base.

I have found the base to be great for stability being much larger than the saw cabinet and easy to move on the top quality castors, which lock both roll and swivel. I also set up my other rolling cabinets to be the same height of the TS for infeed and outfeed.

Good luck.

Brandt

Reply to
Brandt in western Canada

You can be as tall as you like, but it's the inseam vs spine length that counts. Ask the guy who had to go out and run to shorten his spine enough to get into flight school, and is only 6' tall.

Your circumstances, with a saw and base combination which are unique won't allow the best option, which for CS owners is a lift between the saw and its base. I guess a subframe between the legs and the base would be best. As I am a woodworker, it would be my version of a full frame - in wood.

Personal standard is being able to clear a piece from the rear of a fully elevated blade without leaning into the saw.

Reply to
George

Build a wood frame to go between the mobile base and the saw the appropriate thickness to get the lift you need

John

Reply to
John

I built a squat box to sit on my mobile base and then bolted my saw to that using angle iron. It's plenty solid. I had to bend the angle iron slightly to match the angle of my contractor saw legs, but that was easy to do.

Reply to
Larry C in Auburn, WA