Tree trimming accident (NSFW: language)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzd8WtVJVfc

What was the safety error?

1. Standing below the limb he's removing. 2. Standing on the top rung ... 3. ... of a ladder that's too short for the job 4. Twenty feet off the ground with no safety harness. 5. Holding a chain saw in one hand. 6. Failing to undercut the limb first.
Did I miss any?
On 5/6/2014 12:28 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Yeah, one for sure, a line tied to the limb to keep it from falling. Another line for some on the ground to guide the limb after it was cut.
Several years ago I took a tree out of our back yard. It was along the back fence line with about half hanging over in to the back yard neighbors yard. With two ropes and a helper on the ground I was able to remove the tree, limb by limb, with out anything falling into the neighbors yard. No excitement and every thing swinging and dropping exactly where I wanted it to go after being cut.
On Tuesday, May 6, 2014 12:28:37 PM UTC-5, Doug Miller wrote:

I was thinking safety harness and undercut, but these other suggestions in this thread are key too. It just goes to show that the guys who do this professionally really know what they are doing.
On 5/6/2014 1:12 PM, Michael wrote:

Which one... _Not having a safety line._ Not having shortened the limb. Not having safety lines on the limb so that the guys below can keep it from hitting him.
Normall you want to be level or higher, but sometimes that is not possible. But where was his safety line.
Man that was scarry looking.
--
Jeff

"Michael" wrote in message

Being less than a week out of Game of Logging chainsaw training I'd say that nothing they were doing was safe... except the cutter was wearing chaps.
No cutting plan No hardhats No eye protection No ear protection No safety harness Cutting off a ladder Cutting over head Cutting one handed People too close to the area No rope controlling the limb No Undercut No bucket truck or climbing gear In sum, no business doing that job...
On 5/6/2014 12:12 PM, Michael wrote:

Allowing an idiot out of the institution after the first indication of stupid.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

rope over the limb and hung himself. It would be faster. I can not imagine him going on in life and remaining uninjured or undead.
On Tue, 6 May 2014 10:12:19 -0700 (PDT), Michael

Not hiring a pro!
"Michael" wrote in message

If you liked that one take a look at this one... lots of variety:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxst-7MmUfM

RE: Subject
As a young man, would try almost anything except brain surgery.
By the time I was 30, had decided that laying concrete was something I wasn't going to do so added it to the list of things I'd hire done.
One of the best decisions I ever made was to hire a contractor to lay a patio slab that was maybe 12' x 20'.
This decision was made after the fact after watching the slab being laid.
By the time I was 40, had decided that climbing ladders to paint the house, a split level, was best left to younger people.
Had one tree with limbs close enough to the house that they could be of concern. These were limbs that were less than 1-1/2" dia.
Used my Craftsman sabersaw from a ladder to remove a couple of limbs and decided that was to be my ONLY attempt to be an arborist.
This was long before I reached 30.
Used to think nothing of climbing the mast of my 30 ft sailboat with a 40 ft mast, well into my 50's, but after what would be my last climb said to myself, "Self, how much longer you going to try to kid yourself? You've been lucky, so don't be stupid."
I'd rather be lucky rather than good any day.
For the most part I've been lucky, especially when it came to building the boat.
Lew

<...snipped list of similar decisions...>
I would also recommend that you leave gasoline price reporting to Trilby Lundberg.

"Larry W" wrote:

What?
And leave you speechless.
Lew
Getting a Chain Saw.........1st mistake! john
"Michael" wrote in message

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bzd8WtVJVfc

What was the safety error?
On Tue, 6 May 2014 14:39:19 -0400, "John Grossbohlin"

50' up and it did the old I want to roll the other directions and join you in the bucket. Fortunately I was able to rotate and keep it out till it dropped. But I should have had a helper and had a line on it. If there is room and it's not to big I now prefer just pushing it over with the excavator.
Mike M