Top attachment for atlas stand

I have built an atlas stand, not entirely unlike this one:

_except_ that instead of a solid front, it has another shelf. Now, the problem comes in when I need to attach the top. My default choice is brass L-brackets, but it'll a pain to get my arm in between the shelf and the top to get the screws in.

So I'm wondering if there is an easier way. One thing that comes to mind would be a twist-lock mechanism. Think of a washer that has been ground to make one side flat. I could screw this to the top, put the top on, and then simply twist the washers so that the un-flattened part holds in a groove. I hope you get the picture.

Anyway, before I go an make something like this, does anyone know where I can find something like this?

Or does anyone have any other ideas for attaching a top when the space immediately below the top is tight?

Thanks,

Greg

Reply to
G. Lewin

Maybe a cam-fastener affair. Rockler has them in different sizes they are for knockdown pieces but may suit you needs.

Eric Johnson

Reply to
TeamCasa

I can't think of the name of the locking device, but decided to buy an on-sale TV stand [sorry guys ...it was cheaper than the cost of the material], that was the put-it-together-yourself variety. There was some sort of expansion screw that solidly fatened the particle-board verticals to the horizontals, so they have to work in solidwood even better I'd think. They must (i) have a name, and (ii) be available for general use.

Another option is to fasten the brass L-brackets to the top near the front and back [measure carefully], then fasten those with a power driver. You just have to get the driver into the space, not your arm.

Bill.

Reply to
Bill Rogers