Tool quality.

Depended entirely on the model and engines as with all the planes I've flown. I've flown doggy L1011 100s and nice 200s. Same with the 747s. I've flown doggy 100s and fantastic 300s with the GE engines. I've flown 200s with all manner of P&W engines as well as RRs. It all depended on power to weight.

Very nice cockpit - not as good visibility as the DC10, but much roomier than the 747.

Reply to
Bernoulli

The problem was, we could never tell what you had. A three legged '10 looked just like a four legged '10 on the flight progress strip. Also, although we could generally infer that a 747 on its way to Narita was probably not going to climb well, we could never be sure how full the

74 on its way to LAX was and could be pleasantly or unpleasantly surprised.

Who'd you fly for? Equipment sounds like TWA or Delta. I don't think Eastern ever had 74s. I don't think AmTran did either. Who else (U.S.) flew 1011s? Of course who said you flew for a U.S. carrier?

I was in Jacksonville Center from '68 to '73 and Chicago Center from '73 until I retired in '97, with a couple of stints at ORD thrown in.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I always thought so too, until I learned Richard Bong, the top U.S. ace of WWII did it in a P-38 Lighting.

Reply to
Kevin

And #2 (McQuire?) was a P-38 pilot, too, I believe.

However, different theater, different adversary.

Incidentally, of the top ten U.S. aces (and ties) in WWII, three of the fourteen flew P-51s, three flew P-38s, two flew P-47s, two flew F6Fs, two flew Corsairs, one flew a Spit!?!?, and one flew an F4F.

Just to reinforce Chuck Yeager's (and many others') feeling, that it's not the airplane, it's the pilot, Joe Foss, the 2nd highest Marine ace and #7 on the list, flew the F4F. The Wildcat isn't even in the top ten of WWII fighters.

(Top ten WWII fighters, in no particular order: P-51, P-38, P-47, F6F, F4U, Spitfire, Hurricane, BF-109, FW-190, Zero. One should somehow find a way to include the ME-262; maybe a top eleven?)

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

There's also the person who is recommending the item's experience level, ability, budget, and personal biases. A.K.A. - perspective.

Fairly often, people go to newsgroups looking for equipment recommendations. Without knowing the background and abilities of the person praising or panning a certain item, the recommendation is often useless.

Someone who's been using a rock to shape a board may find a BORG Buck Brothers chisel a fantastic tool. A bicyclist who's only ridden Eastern European, communist provided "water pipe" bicycles with balloon tires may find a Wal-Mart bicycle to be a high quality item. Others with more experience or more specific needs may disagree.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Wallpaper an XB-70, probably the sexiest plane ever.

If you ever go to Wright-Patterson, it really stands out. It's just an incredible piece of work. Compared to other knockoffs, like the Tu-144, I've seen, it's just gorgeous.

Reply to
George

First bike I ever fell off, a gardengate manx, mum made dad sell it after that, I was only 10 at the time....Got me a few BMW's down the years, still got a '52 G80C Matchless though ;-)

Reply to
Badger

The Brits are great at names that convey the thing they name Jaguar Triumph Matchless Nomad Panther Cub (ok so the Royal Enfield was a stretch)

And their warships sound like warships HMS Invinceable HMS Indominable HMS Vindicator HMS Get the Fuck Out of MY Ocean (got carried away - sorry.)

Ours Indiana Forrestal Carl Vincent (?)

Their fighter planes Spitfire Harrier

Ours P-38 B-29

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Lucas Electrics...the reason for warm beer in the UK.

And you forgot the HMS Dreadnought, the first all big gun battleship, and whose name has devolved to generically mean all capital ships.

The Navy had naming conventions for a long time that drove these things. Battleships were named after states. You can be sure there was significant lobbying for a name from each delegation whenever a new battleship was laid down. Cruisers were named after cities (probably same thing). Submarines were named after sea creatures. Aircraft carriers were often named for battles, although the first was named for an aviation pioneer, and the Enterprise (CV6) was one of a long line of naval ships so named..

The first Indiana (BB-1) was the first numbered US battleship. The second one (BB-58) served in WWII.

First Secretary of Defense? Doesn't he deserve something?

Carl Vinson. Probably the most influential Senator for DoD appropriations in history. He deserves a carrier named after him more than a couple of presidents I know.

Not all of the Royal Navy ships' names were so intimidating. The HMS Rodney comes immediately to mind, as does Ark Royal.

Come on. Be fair. Do apples to apples. If you insist on calling the Lightning (pretty good name, I think) a P-38, then you have to refer to the Spitfire as the Supermarine Type 300 MK (whatever).

And the B-29 was a SuperFortress. I can't imagine a less namby-pamby name than that.

The Hawker-Siddley AV8A? That's the equivalent name for the Harrier. By the way, do you know what Harrier pilots are called? AV8ers.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

A Brough would be my dream bike.

Reply to
Robatoy

That brings us to the A-10 ...Warthog....aptly named... in a Julia Roberst sort of way.

I think the A-10 is one impressive bird. A frickin' tank with wings. One of my favourite all-time aircraft.

SR-71....another great one.

But the A-10 is on my desktop.

Reply to
Robatoy

Actually, the official name is Thunderbolt II. Warthog is an unofficial, affectionate name given to her by aircrew. You can tell it's a Republic airplane by the wide track of the main gear. Looks just like the Jug, the Thud (also unofficial names), and the F-84 Thunderstreak.

The late Jeff Ethel, when doing a flying demonstration of the P-47, said that it took a lot of runway landing it. He said, "if you could build a runway around the world, Republic would build an airplane that would use all of it."

Me too.

Yep.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

We have a squadron of them based here in CT. An acquaintance of mine flys them on weekends, a former employee maintains electronics on them.

Luckily, he's never been subjected to a bird strike from the rear that the fighter pilots keep advising him to watch out for.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

An airplane which proved unsuited to the task for which it was intended - hosing Soviet armor as it tried to force the Fulda gap.

Planned to be a two-seater, made a single, where the load on the pilot was so large in the weather that prevails so often in Germany, it went into the guard in record time. It's done great work in clear air and with upgrade avionics.

The blackbird is one of the finest machines out there. When dad first came to Beale, he described an SR with a T38 chase as "the shark and a pilotfish." Of course, the Okinawans called her Habu, which also seemed suitable. A night takeoff was almost a religious experience for onlookers.

Reply to
George

That would be the Carl Vinson. I posted a couple of pics of it on ABPW

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

... snip

Not exactly:

P-38 Lightning B-29 Superfortress B-17 Flying Fortress B-24 Liberator P-51 Mustang F-15 Eagle F-22 Raptor F-16 Falcon F-117 Nighthawk

I'd say we have a pretty good history of naming things. Although I grant you the Brit's choice for warships is pretty good. Ours were more for states (battleships), and for people of note (Kennedy, Reagan, Forrestal, Eisenhower). OTOH, our sub class name choices aren't too bad: Sea Wolf, Poseidon, Trident. Some of our missile choices are pretty good: Sidewinder, Tomahawk, Maverick, HARM, Javelin, Minuteman, Titan.

Mark & Juanita

Is that the plane that flys at or slightly above the speed of smell (plagarized /stolen from Ron White, humorist Texan and part time alcoholic?)

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Badgerf responds:

frame,

First bike I ever fell off, a gardengate manx, mum made dad sell it after that, I was only 10 at the time....Got me a few BMW's down the years, still got a '52 G80C Matchless though ;-)

Love to get hold of an old Matchless or AJS. I'm not sure what the Gardengate version of Manx was...in the States we only got the Manx, hairpin valve springs and all.

The friend who owned that Manx raced it at Laconia (NH) a couple of times before things got as formal as they are now...they barely required a helmet back then ('56, '57, '58). I don't know what happened to the bike, and I haven't heard from Gene since he showed up at my apartment in Albany, NY, with girlfriend (something he was never without after about his 14th birthday), driving an old VW back from CA. Every concealed spot on that car was filled with grass (not for sale, though). This was about '68 or '69. He was a real wandered, by that time a master machinist, and still crazy. He was in touch with my mother a few times after that, but I could never catch up with him. Then she moved.

Reply to
Charlie Self

But...

Didn't we (Muricans) name a tank after Norm?

UA100, trying to bring it back around to being on topic....

Reply to
Unisaw A100

But the Tu144 bore no relation to the XB70. If anything it was a knock-off of Concorde.

Of course it wasn't a knock off of anything - just a product of the Soviet's highly advanced powerful, fast engine technologies, allied to their somewhat underdeveloped airframes. It was a paper dart with rockets on, if you compare it to Concorde. Look at the wing leading edge planform - the Tu144 was no more advanced than the first series of Vulcans from the '50s. Fuel burn and limited range was thus much as you might expect.

Reply to
Andy Dingley