'tis the Season

From tiny acorns mighty oaks grow. My daughter made me do this. Anyway, Happy Holidays to all here. http://www.edswoods.com/acorn.htm
On Sun, 06 Jun 2010 23:06:38 -0500, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"
someone said:

We used to play in the DDT fog the trucks sprayed when I was a kid on LRAFB.
--snip--

Ohhhhhhh...Maybe the Democrats are goin' cannibalistic. One can only hope.
-- It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. -- Charles Darwin
Larry Jaques wrote:

That explains a lot! ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

I was waiting for that one. ;)
----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun!
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Ah, yes. I had a similar problem in Austin when attending the University of Texas. It was especially bad regarding goodies from home. But I devised a plan: A ROACH-MOAT!
Oh, the device was simple enough, a #2 washtub with a pedestal in the center, onto which was placed the delectables and the tub filled with water. I went to bed that night, secure in the knowledge that my victuals from mom would be safe.
I can only imagine the scene during the dark: thousands of roach-eyes, from around the rim, longingly staring at the tantalizing tasty tarts just out of reach! Then one roach, perhaps imbued with a sense of self-sacrifice, stands up on his back four legs and screams "One for All!" in roach talk as he throws himself into the deep. Others follow. Soon there is a ROACH BRIDGE to the yummies I had thought were protected from pillaging pests.
I stumbled into the kitchen the next morning, yearning for a taste of swell, sweetly remembered, and was greeted by a bug bacchanalia as thousands of amber invaders bloated with brownies met me with roach-grins.
In a fit of unreasonable distress, I fled from the apartment to the nearest store and bought a gallon of "Granny Gruesome's Roach Petrifier." I sprayed everything. Including the cat.
The roaches retired to their lairs and retaliated by roach-breeding like, well, like college students. Then came the sad part.
We had to apply to our arch-enemies, Texas A&M, for assistance. They gladly used a small nuclear device on the afflicted apartment area and (no doubt due to a small miscalculation) about six square miles of South Austin.
The area remains uninhabitable to normal folk to this day. It is rumored that glow-in-the-dark, swimming, roaches roam the alley-ways.
On 6/7/2010 9:34 AM, HeyBub wrote:

You know, your approach is fundamentally flawed. Damnyankee roaches might have been stopped by your moat, but Southern roaches fly.

Just doesn't sound Texan to me. A roach problem like yours is a perfect opportunity to load up the .22 with shotshells and practice some wing-shooting.

While stationed at Lackland AFB I'd doze off in the evening to the sounds of roaches piloting Box Cars out of Kelly AFB.

That would be the squitter trucks spraying malathion.
Damn ticks are awful this year, but about the worst thing right now is millipeds, they are everywhere in unbelievable numbers, on the porches, walls, inside, roof, cars, the ground outside is squirming with them. Not much point in fight them they have billions of replacements and do make a satisfying crunching sound when your walking.
basilisk

Malathion is Really, Really bad.

Reminds me of the June bug infestations in NW Ohio. Not something you wanted on a boardwalk ...
"Lobby Dosser" wrote:

------------------------------- You maybe thinking about the Canadian Solders that would cover the highway in the summer along the South shore of Lake Erie on their way to the lake?
Lew

No idea they called them that!