Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal.

Page 1 of 2
Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal. http://cuttingtools.blogth.com / Tin snips are tools used to cut thin sheet metal. They use the same principles as common scissors, but are able to handle thicker and harder material. There are three different types of tin snips; straight cutting, left cutting, and right cutting. Straight cutting in a straight line, left cutting snips (usually red) will cut in a curve to the left, and right cutting snips (usually green) will cut in a curve to the right. http://cuttingtools.blogth.com / In practical use the red snips pictured will be used in the right hand, for straight or curving cuts, with the base material to the right being cut neatly and the left hand will be pulling away a spiraling offcut. The green snips work in the opposite fashion in the left hand, with the waste being on the right.
A similar tool called aviation snips can cut sheet metal with less effort than tin snips. A compound lever mechanism provides greater control with less effort. The serrated jaws prevent slippage and withstand heavy use. Also it is designed with a latch than holds the jaws closed if desired. The insulated handles have the same color- coding as with tin snips described above. http://cuttingtools.blogth.com / A tool called a hand notcher makes clean V-shaped cuts in sheet metal without slippage. The compound-action handles produce necessary leverage for fast cutting. http://cuttingtools.blogth.com /

Been wondering what they were for .... ;)
wrote: [spam deleted]

I was wrong.. I always thought that they were to snip tin...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

...and table saws cut tables?

I quit using the jig saw to make jigs, though..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Surgeons _have_ been known to use back saws to cut backs. <grin>
OTOH, I've got an offset screwdriver, but could never find an offset that needed screwing -- if I _were_ so inclined that is.
On Mar 1, 12:56pm, snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

Using that form of thought... what about a broad axe?

to snip tin...

Or a jack plane or a plumb Bob

channel locks??
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Or a box wrench?
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

Peanut oil, olive oil, baby oil...
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

ya know, I always wondered how many baby's they need to get a quart of baby oil..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Funny you mention this, we were watching one of those educational channels where they were showing brain surgery and the surgeon used a 9.6v Makita cordless drill to make a hole in the skull. I recognized it since it was the same one I have in my garage.

Leonard Lee, Robin's father and founder of Lee Valley Tools, has been very active in design and re-design of surgical/medical tools. Want an unobtanium doohicky driver? Lee's your man.
But I tell ya, before any surgeon cuts me, I want to see Olfa and Festool.

Don't Try This At Home!
(Professional Surgeon in a closed operating room.)

What then are aviation snips for? Cutting planes?
Wonder if they're related to that "aircraft remover" stuff in the clearance aisle?
Puckdropper
marching band.

I think they're to trim pilots? have to ask Barry that one..

mac
Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis wrote:

Maybe to "trim the plane"...
Har! <G>

Hey, are you a hockey ref by any chance? JP