Time for some Bessys

there's a grip where you can operate the sliding head either direction with your thumb while holding the bar. works fine for me.     Bridger
Bridger wrote:

They're no good for squeezing glue, agreed. But they're really handy for just holding something down on my sanding table / workbench. Usually the clamp of first choice then because of their one-hand operation Occasionally the spreader feature is a godsend.
-- Mark
I don't have either (damn!), but there was a recent article comparing them along with the Jorgensen's in a recent mag. They recommended the Gross Stabils over the Bessey's and Jorgensen's FWIW.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"Jay Pique" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message

============== =========== I read that article (more then once btw) and as I have already stated in an earlier post in this threat I own and use both the Bessy and the Gross Stabils ..
Personally I see absolutely no "GOOD" reason they picked the GS's over the Bessy's except that you can order individual parts for the GS's and that they are a buck or two cheaper.....
I do agree with the article that any of them are DAMN good clamps... If I need a few more I will most likely buy more Bessy's unless the price difference is a factor.
(I'm retired, and my wallet is always thin the last week of the month when compared to the first week..)
Bob Griffiths
Hello, I just got 4...Bessy clamps..40" as Xmas presents.......cool...wanted to replace my pipe clamps.....they are heavy, but should work well, i have a lot of Quick clamps.....might get some 24" Bessy`s down the road......always have use for clamps.....buy in pairs though...

(i
I started out with 4 24's and 4 50's. I don't understand why people buy 48's, when 50's are available. If you want to build an entertainment center or bookcase, the 50's will serve you better. Especially if you want to put some kind of a pad on each end of the clamp.

future.
Should
I've got two 52s (lack of apostrophe for Charlie's sake), four (approx.) 40s and six 31s. I'm on the hunt for a deal on 24s and hope to pick up at least four of them. I realize the 31s will do everything the 24s will do, but interestingly enough, I'm always bothered by the weight of them. When box building, there are often times you want to nudge a clamp this way or that, but when the clamp outweighs the box by a factor of several, it gets awkward. For this reason I keep several sets of cheap light aluminium bar clamps, but their accuracy just isn't there. I'm also planning on building a set of clamp block similar to the ones Bessey offers. These too will be for use in box building and will allow me to "build" a frame of clamps pre-set to the appropriate dimensions into which I can put the box after the glue-up.
Good luck Rob
--

Remove CC for email and please visit our web site:
http://www.robswoodworking.com

These sizes you mentioned is what I have. Very useful. I use the 24" more than the 31". My next two Bessys will be smaller than 24". When I need a longer than 31" I use the Pony pipe clamps, but that's not too often. Depends on what you make.

(i
I got what they call the cabinetmaker's kit, or something like that. Anyway it was 2-24" and 2-40" and the KP blocks which hold the clamps for doormaking. I later picked up 2-50" clamps. I find that I use all three sizes about equally, but I'd like to get four to six more in the 31" and 24" sizes.
Jon E

(i
I own about a dozen Besseys and I must be the odd man out because I own more 31's then 24's...just a little heaver BUT just as easy to use... If these things sold for 10 bucks each I would have a dozen of each size.. Bob Griffiths
I'm always reaching for the ones that I don't have. Seriously, I've got short ones, medium ones, long, and longer, and NEVER seem to have enough of whatever my current project requires. I'll be picking up some more this coming week, and will undoubtedly need to buy some more in the not too distant future. They are expensive, but, man you gotta love 'em!
dave
Frank Ketchum wrote:

Look at the Gross Stabil clamps as well as the Bessy's. I have both, and I definitely like the GS clamps BETTER than the Bessy's, but both are good clamps. Just the GS have more jaw surface area, and are rated to produce MORE total clamping pressure than than the Bessy's, as well as being a tad LESS expensive, and if you really need it, comes a longer max length than the Bessy's
John

Geez, this is like the Cabinet Master war.

Do you NEED more jaw surface area? I've never found the K-Bodies lacking in that.

Do you NEED more total clamping pressure (whatever that is)? I've never found the K-Bodies lacking in that, either.

What? A dollar or two per clamp less? I have 34 K-Bodies. I spent about a grand on them. $30-50 less over several years isn't enough to make a buying decision on.

Well, I know for a fact that Bessey makes a 96" K-Body. A friend of mine has a pair. Are you saying GS makes a longer one than that? And even if they do, is that a reason to buy GS 24s vs K-Body 24s?
Citing factors that are different but have no particular advantage doesn't make one product *better* than another.
LRod
Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999
http://www.woodbutcher.net
Everyone has their opinion, right? Evidently John found the items he mentioned to be advantages, not differences. You find them to be differences, not advantages. Sounds like you're both right. A recent mag article picked the Gross Stabil's over the Bessy's too FWIW.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA

"LRod" < snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com> wrote in message

<snip>
The only person I've seen turning clamp preferences into a "war" is you. Why is that?
Cheers, Mike

=========== ============== =======I might as well jump in here also.... I have been using Bessy's for a long tme and actually went out and bought a few of the GS's last year...and gave them a darn good workout ...
I still reach for the Bessy's most of the time.. BUT I could, and would, be happy to be "stuck" with either.
The Bessy's just work a little better for me...maybe it is because I think I have mastered the method needed to close them...prior appling pressure.. I still have to fight\ with the GS's ...but I figure that will go away shortly as I get used to them...
Bob Griffiths
Bob
Would not turn down any FREE Besseys if they came my way, and I AM NOT getting rid of my Bessey's, but I AM buying Gross Stabil when I buy new parallel clamps - and it IS personal preference and not any earth shatteriing major BETTER or WORSE of the two brands.
John