This Old House Comment/Observation

Page 2 of 3
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Of course it doesn't matter, but, if someone wants to zinc coat a diamond because they like the color of zinc, I still have an opinion of not just what I think of their color choice, but a rather strong opinion of doing it to an expensive rare diamond...
Personally, the only interest I have in diamonds is how long they last in my hole saw... cherry on the other hand...
still, you're right, it sure matters not a wit.
--
Jack

I might be wrong, but I don't think anyone is this thread said they'd turn down the job. Even Michaelangelo did his fair share of "Sears portrait studio" paintings.
--

-MIKE-

Scott Lurndal wrote:

I thought bizarre choices by home owners was supposed to be part of every TOH series. My favorite was the guy who wanted to re-use his kitchen cabinets to save money, and then chose a staircase made of enormous slabs of teak suspended on a seriously custom steel framework, not to mention sheathing half the house in stone and including a bridge over a giant water feature out front. Yeah, avoiding the expense of new plywood boxes in the kitchen showed what a shrew penny-pincher he was....
DGDevin wrote:

I think that was George. My wife didn't like him. TOH got even with him on this one. They had a roof leak during a rain storm and ruined the cabinets.
Dave
David G. Nagel wrote:

Right, which the show then had to replace at their expense. That house was an exercise in extravagance, I find myself hoping the owner invested most of his money with Bernie Madoff.
On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 11:03:51 -0500, "David G. Nagel"

Mabry, according to my spreadsheet, in Cambridge. In my notes I recorded my impression that they seemed to go the extra mile to obfuscate the location, unlike many of the other projects in which you can catch a house number or pick up other clues during the course to be able to get the actual street address. There were absolutely none in my recollection. Still found it, though.
I'm no contractor, but I felt from the first two or three episodes that the budget must have approached seven figures--maybe even more than Manchester (hard as that is to believe--they built a whole new wing, there). It's one of the TOH projects which I never bother to watch reruns.

Funny you say that. I had the same feeling. Not so much "dislike" as not finding anything to like. He was as dull as an old chisel.
The only thing I don't remember seeing was a cat. That would have completed the stereotype perfectly.

As someone already pointed out, TOH wound up eating the cabinets. And rightly so--as I recall, it was an issue of not sufficiently tenting the unfinished roof coupled with a 100 year rainfall.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

It had to have been one of the most expensive they ever did, and it underscored how far the show had wandered from what it was originally supposed to be.

My wife and I both had the reaction that the house wasn't a place for him to live, it was meant to substitute for the life he didn't have. Perhaps we're wrong and actually the house has been filled with family and friends ever since, but somehow I can still see that guy wandering from room to room admiring the place all by himself.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

My _dull_ old chisels used to supply lots of excitement...

Saving money does not necessarily mean penny pinching, it can also mean spending less in one category so you can spend more in another and still come in under your total budget.
D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

http://derekl1963.livejournal.com /
On 11 Mar 2009 21:15:34 GMT, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal) scrawled the following:

It's a sin to anyone who loves wood, Scott.
- Yea, though I walk through the valley of Minwax, I shall stain no Cherry. --- http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) laptop privacy/glare guards

I wouldn't know because our affiliates have gone to their usual MO of showing the first two or three episodes and then stopping for their crap specials while they beg for money. It hasn't been on for I think 3 weeks and it's not scheduled for the next 2 weeks either. At some point I in the future after having given up on it I will stumble upon one of last episodes where their decorator is explaining how she managed to make the current one even uglier than the previous.

As long as the checks are good I'll stain the cherry whatever she wants. I've got a quart of "deep ocean" that's been sitting around for years she might like.
-Kevin
Lee Michaels wrote:

I quit watching years ago when the kitchen appliances started costing more than my first house. I can't say if they have gone back to their more reasonable roots, but the show was definitely suffering from mission creep. All I can think is that the contractors were bored by trying to save money all the time and wanted a chance to do jobs with bottomless funding.

Pretty much how I saw this show's evolution. What started as a DIY program quickly became a pie-in-the-sky contractor's wet-dream.
"Today, we build a pre-stressed concrete walled NASA control bunker in the basement of this simulated chrome-moly log cabin on the majestic unspoiled shoreline adjacent to Marina Del Ray, CA. BTW, the owners are 3 oceans away entertaining the czar of Russia on their 80 million dollar yacht and haven't a clue what a 16 box nail is. Now, here's a word from our non-commercial PBS supporter."
nb

That pretty much sums up the show - unfortunately.
scritch wrote:

They eventually got the message about the "This Old Mansion" jobs, so now they alternate those with more modest rebuilds. So long as I learn something about how to do X, Y or Z in every series I don't care how overblown the house is.

The kitchen cabinets are Green, Sea Foam green it appears.
Leon wrote:

As I remember there was a house they did several years ago, where the owner had to declare bankruptcy because he could not afford the taxes on all of the expensive equipment they installed.
Does any one remember the outcome that situation?
Keith:

I looked for that "case" for awhile but found nothing. Are you sure it was "TOH"? It could have been Extreme Makeover".
There was a house done by EM in our area and the couple had a problem in the property tax reassesment. I think they were able to figure it all out, tho.
The reason TOH does the high-end remodeling, is that they want to show as much as they can the "state of the art" in fixtures, etc. Obiviously, it is no longer affordable remodeling. Tho they do something more moderately at times, like last year in New Orleans.
MJM
MJWallace wrote: ...

... There was one in the Atlanta area the idjuts took out equity LOC for the entire amount at about the peak evaluation point and then declared bankruptcy...
In article

There have actually been several that couldn't afford their houses (after EM finished)
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org