Things sometimes come back around...

Page 1 of 2
A long time ago, I sold a Craftsman 8" tablesaw to a friend for a song. It was a saw that my dad had bought when he was building our house, and it had made its way to my garage over the years. I had always regretted selling it instead of just giving it to my own son. Well... said friend is in the process of divorcing his wife and preparing to clear out of Dodge. In conversation with him, I offered to buy the saw back for whatever price he wanted - just because I wanted to pass it on to my son. Low and behold, he says "No Way!" - "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be".
I know - it's kind of a dumb little story, but it's pretty big for me.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@windstream.net
On 8/14/12 2:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Not dumb at all... touching.... but in my sitcom brain I can't help but get a chuckle out of your last quote... "I'll just load the saw into my truck and take it over and give it to your son - that's how it should be"
Nothing cements the father-son relationship like the time honored tradition of having your newly divorced buddy deliver your long lost table saw to your son's place as he's hightailing it out of town to avoid his ex-wife's layers. That could be on a greeting card! :-)
--

-MIKE-

It is a big story. Congratulations!
--
Best regards
Han

Nice. Shame about the divorce, but it puts friendship into perspective.
Hi Mike it certainly worked out well,that's a real friend for you.
Sal

-MIKE- wrote the following on 8/14/2012 4:08 PM (ET):

ex-wife's 'layers' or 'lawyers', or both?
--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
On 8/14/12 7:01 PM, willshak wrote:

Nice... bonus typo euphemism. 10pts.
--

-MIKE-

Absolutley not, it's the way it should be. It's like borrowing a buddies truck with a half a tank of gas in it and returning it with a full tank. Take him out before he leaves and buy him a beer or three.
I had a good day today. Now it's better. It's always good to hear of a good ending.
Sonny
Mike Marlow wrote:

A chap I used to work with had a similar story. It seems a girl he casually dated gave him Gonorreah!
After the diagnosis, he told her. She was astonished and promised quick treatment. He didn't see her for about three months. When they next got together, he asked her about her condition. She emphatically stated that she was cured! With that assurance, he had another romp of sex with her.
The next day, he started his treatment regimen.

So what's the similar story ~ what goes around, comes around?

That's a great story Mike. It's really the way things should be and I am glad to hear when it happens.
Last year my father-in-law passed away. He had cancer, started in his bladder and spread quickly. From September to March and gone. We did what we could to help him; emotionally, physically and financially.
After he passed, we sought to gather our things from his farm, but his second wife would not hear of it. We managed to get our 1983 popup camper but she kept and sold everything else.
I can live with the loss of tools given to me from my own father, but I felt, and still feel, badly that my husband could not get anything from his father, not even old photos. I do not nor ever will understand the greed that some people suffer.
I hope your son gets many years of use from your saw. `Casper

Possibly, your husband was at fault for not maintaining a good relationship with his mother. Without further details, we are left guessing the rest of the story.
I was put into a similar situation with my brother. Some relatives think I'm greedy and self serving when it comes to dealing with him. But they don't know, (and I'm not inclined to explain to them) that the only time my brother has ever had anything to do with me is when he wanted something ~ usually money.
After a certain point, I refused to give in to his requests for help.
On 8/15/2012 10:21 AM, Dave wrote:

Not his mother.
And obviously she was a bitch..

Stepmother.. but he never lived with her as he was already 18 when his parents divorced. He stayed with his real mother married.

Let me put it another way...
Stepmom had already left him twice for some old flame in Florida and he took her back because the other guy kicked her out as she has no money. He took care of her completely. Cooked, cleaned, did all the chores, etc. When he found out about his cancer, she didn't want to deal with him. They got asked to leave the nursing home and had to do hospice at home and she complained every day.
While I was present, she would run out for hours to do errands? Come home with cases of ice cream bars, 1 pound cans of propane (for the tiny heater she put next to him because she turned off the main heat) and other assorted junk, when money was tight. She fed him her medications (and other drugs) even tho he kept refusing. She fed him canned soup waterd down, 1 per day and juice. She made no effort to provide him real nutrition. I offered to prepare and give him real food that he could keep down and give him nutrients and she became angry with me and refused to allow me come back to help.
That shed any more light on the matter?

I don't blame you. I would too.
My husband didn't have a great relationship with his father after and because of the divorce. I encouraged my husband to try but it's hard to do when your calls are not returned.
Then one month his father started calling every week and stopping by randomly saysing he was in the area. For a few short months their relationship improved tremendously. I told my husband something was wrong. People don't change without reason.
In september of that year Dad went to have his bladder checked and the xray showed cancer spread to his lungs, stomach andother organs. Further xrays showed it reasched his brain. Chemo was so hard it took almost 70 punds off him in 4 months and he was under 200 to start.
We visted him every day at the hospital nursing home. We all did because that's what family should do.
I'm sorry if I have babbled too long or explained too much but it disturbes me greatly when people blatantly get away with chit by controlling things they should never be in control of, ergo stepmom. Sounds like you unfortunately understand first hand and I am sorry for that. No one should have to deal with the greedy, petty selfish crap, especially when it involves life and death. Life is too short.
`Casper

We had a situation sorta the reverse of that. My MIL got remarried and the two of them spent a decade pissing away every cent they had, including the proceeds from her house and mortgaged his to the hilt (both were free and clear before). When she passed away the kids on the other side were mad at us for getting everything (we let them take anything they wanted of his, out of the house - and they took more). "Everything" was just about enough to cover the expenses. We were stuck cleaning out the house and making the repairs necessary to sell it (not a trivial thing, living 1000 miles away).
Mike Marlow wrote:

Congratulations on getting your saw back!
Bill
On 8/14/2012 2:42 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Karma is never dumb, Mike.
"Things have a way of working out right".
On 8/14/2012 5:10 PM, Richard wrote:

using it for several years he sold it and bought a larger one.
About 8 years later his brother invited him to come up and see his "new" trailer. We do not know where the trailer had been during those 8 years but when we arrived at his brothers there it was in his drive.

used it. Also a brother got to use it far awhile. Truly a family type of thing. You should feel good. Nothing like family!!