The mama of all jointers

http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot60.shtml
Now I have something to aspire to. SH
What kinda power does it take to run this beast?
Joey

The site indicated it has a 15 hp motor.

Alright I'll be more specific. What kind of electrical requirements (Volts/Amps/Phase) does it take to run this beast??

If it's an electrical motor, more than likely it's a 230/460 3-phase.
todd
Joseph Smith wrote:

It has a 15 HP motor. I used to run a 15 HP air compressor on a 60 amp 220 volt circuit back in the days when I ran a dive shop.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

We don't know the voltage, but at 110v that would be 150 amps, at 220v it would be 75 amps, 220v 3ph about 50 amps, 440v 3 phase about 25 amps, and at 575v 3ph 15 amps.
Rough but quite likely close guesses...
David.

at
Not bad guesses .... 230v @ 42, 460v @ 21, 575v @ 17 As far as I know no one, made/makes a 120volt or 230volt single phase motor that large. BTW at 460v you can run it on a 40 amp breaker and 10 gauge wire!
William....
Joseph Smith wrote:

Want I should check the one at work? It is a beast to behold and is as big in person as you'd expect it to be.
UA100
On Fri, 24 Sep 2004 22:33:42 +0000, Unisaw A100 wrote:

Aw, Keter, you have *all* the fun toys. Any chance you could post pix of your at-work shop? Bet it's a sight to behold.
--
Joe Wells

Joe Wells wrote:

Of all the parts 'n pieces at work the Yates No. 1 and a Crescent band saw (24"ish) are my two favorites. OK, they are the most vintage. My favorite 'chine is the CNC router. Anyways, one of these days I need to snap a shot or two.
UA100
direct current as it said you know DC

leonard responds:

Direct drive is what it said, I think. Somewhat different, basically meaning no belts.
Charlie Self "Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half." Gore Vidal
Charlie Self wrote:

That would be correct. There should be a rubber coupling mounted directly to the output shaft. No belts. Nobody said anything about DC (direct current). Besides, what would be the point?
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com
Leonard said,
direct current as it said you know DC

The two-high rolling mill at the Oregon Steel plant in California had a 10,000hp DC direct-drive motor driving it. As I recall, the rationale for that was that it was simple to reverse the motor to run the mill rolls in both directions.
John
I worked on a planer once that had a 75HP cutter motor IIRC.

Yep, Mr. Kerfoot has a warehouse of that kind of stuff. Makes my 16" Northfield look down right puny.
--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com

Now *that* would solve all of my problems as far as flattening glued up panels. [Well, that and its equivalent 30" planer for the other side].