The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

*shuddering at the thought*
Reply to
Robatoy

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.

Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.

that a misprint or mistake? According to the listed specs, it only has a spindle travel of 3/4"! That would be almost useless. It has got to be a mistake of some kind. Or an incredibley specialized drill press.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

My page says: Chuck size 3/4, spindle travel 4 1/2". General makes nice stuff. Even their Taiwanese stuff is held to a high standard.

Reply to
Robatoy

Found in one of the publications I get:

Replace the stock setup with a 1/2"x20 threaded rod (the quill stop rod on a Bridgeport mill) and get 2 Bridgeport-compatible "speed nut" quill stops that are available from machine shop supply sources like MCS and ENCO. The speed nut's quick release button allows it to slide free of the threads for instant repositioning. With 50 marks evenly spaced around the nuts circumference, and 20 teeth per inch on the rod, it is precisely adjustable to .001".

Hope this is of use.

Jim

Reply to
Jim in Milwaukee

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place.

have thinking, who have I left out for consideration? DOH! I'll check that out.

I am kinda surprised that the Laguna DP models are pretty much middle of the road although they do have reasonable pricing.

Reply to
Leon

General has a few drill presses:

Robatoy

General has a few drill presses:

looked at all of them on the site, unfortunately no one near me to do touchy feely review. The 20 " model is nice also and I noticed a NEW Electronic Variable Speed 17" model.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks Jim, good to know if I decide to wait to get a new DP. That would certainly be a "next to do" improvement.

Reply to
Leon

Mine is a Delta 17-965 and it has a quill stroke of 4-7/8 inches, FWIW. You're welcome to take a closer look at it for comparison to the "L".

BTW, I'm back in town if you want to go to Circle Saw, as I need some wood screws. Call me.

Reply to
Swingman

The table tilt seems easier to set up, although that's just a guess as I've never owned a radial. But the tilting head is nice when you're trying to drill into a big heavy timber. And the sliding arm gives you more capacity than most ordinary presses. But of course the downside is flex in that arm.

I've got just an ordinary benchtop, but it was built before benchtops started getting flimsy. The column is the same as the floor model was, the manufacturer (Taiwan?) just cut one in half :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Kennemetal makes the double angle collet chucks we use on the high volume machines we sell. Decent product. Mediocre stock levels for the version we use as we might be the only ues using it. Price is a bit high, but when you buy a machine like mine, the price of the chuck is almost insignificant anyhow... Not that I'm high priced, but a $3-5000 set-up outshines a $200 chuck on the invoice.

If the bits ar the same quality as the chucks, they're decent or better.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

LOTS of 17-965's out there too. Not a "rare" model whatever that's worth.

Reply to
Joe AutoDrill