The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Page 4 of 4
"Leon" wrote:

That's a bench top isn't it?

Would expect somewhere around 5+"-6+" travel to be std for a floor mount these days.
Lew

Yes
Actually no, Laguna drill presses are less than 4" and many other floor models are also. You have to make it a point to check that specification out on every you consider. Actually I have only seen a hand full that are close to 5" or more.
"Leon" wrote:

Interesting, learn something new everyday.
Lew

This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place. http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html
"Robatoy" wrote
This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place. http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html =================================== Is that a misprint or mistake? According to the listed specs, it only has a spindle travel of 3/4"! That would be almost useless. It has got to be a mistake of some kind. Or an incredibley specialized drill press.

My page says: Chuck size 3/4, spindle travel 4 1/2". General makes nice stuff. Even their Taiwanese stuff is held to a high standard.
This one would make any Festool or Laguna look in place. http://www.general.ca/pagemach/machines/75500a.html
I have thinking, who have I left out for consideration? DOH! I'll check that out.
I am kinda surprised that the Laguna DP models are pretty much middle of the road although they do have reasonable pricing.

General has a few drill presses:
http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/drill.html

General has a few drill presses:
http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/drill.html
I looked at all of them on the site, unfortunately no one near me to do touchy feely review. The 20 " model is nice also and I noticed a NEW Electronic Variable Speed 17" model.

*shuddering at the thought*

Actually I looked at that one in the store yesterday. It's quill travel is no longer than mine, there would be no reason to buy new.
Thanks for the effort.
Found in one of the publications I get:
Replace the stock setup with a 1/2"x20 threaded rod (the quill stop rod on a Bridgeport mill) and get 2 Bridgeport-compatible "speed nut" quill stops that are available from machine shop supply sources like MCS and ENCO. The speed nut's quick release button allows it to slide free of the threads for instant repositioning. With 50 marks evenly spaced around the nuts circumference, and 20 teeth per inch on the rod, it is precisely adjustable to .001".
Hope this is of use.
Jim
Leon wrote:

Thanks Jim, good to know if I decide to wait to get a new DP. That would certainly be a "next to do" improvement.