The hund for a replacement drilll press, sorta long

Page 3 of 4

Actually I have looked at their web site and they are as cheap as any one. I may go over there tomorrow and have a look.
Lee Michaels wrote:

Excellent post, Lee! And duly saved in the archives. I already have a DP, but, if Leon's Rockwell suddenly shows up for sale ....
:)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

I am seriously thinking about having a yard sale, Drill press, jointer, and portable plainer, and a 556 PC Biscuit Cutter I wonder how long they will last? LOL
If you are seriously interested I will send a picture of it and the boat. ;~)

I see you found the jointer and biscuit cutter to be as useful as I have.

The jointer is almost my oldest tool and least used. The 556 biscuit jointer was my first and I used it to remodel our kitchen 20 years ago. I still have the 557 but the Domino has pretty much replaced it.
"Swingman" wrote

often.
Everything is OK. Everything is alright.
<Peering out my office window in a fit of paranoia>
Thanks Karl.
I have the Delta and I'm not sure why the need for the keyless chuck.
I would want to be able to really crank down on larger bits and a keyless chuck ain't up to that task.
The Delta I have is the laser model and even that is pretty nice. The table is quite large and has removable inserts.
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID 999
250 - 3000 RPMs
Leon wrote: Delta? The latest 17" version seems to have it all except for the keyless chuck. IIRC it has regular V belts and the table that tilts left, right, and forward.

Typically I tighten the chuck so tight that I have difficulty loostening it up, hense the comment about a user friendly key. Acutally I have been using cordless and corded drills since the early 90's that all have keyless chucks, my Pansaonic was the first. I have not had a problem with slippage with any of the keyless chucks. I herard long ago that keyless more evenly tightens down and provides a better grip. That comment may have been made as a compairison to keyed chucks and not using all 3 holes to evenly tighten the chuck, which I do. The problem is that I only use 1 hole to loosen, maybe if I gave all 3.....

I think I am looking at the one a step above, newly introduced IIRC. It has a longer quill travel and appears to have a larger base. http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID 685
Thanks for the input.
"Leon" wrote:

Like a lot of things, it's a matter of size.
1/2" and smaller chucks usually found on hand held drills are great for keyless chucks.
OTOH, a drill press, bench or floor, will typically have at least a 5/8", more likely 3/4" chuck.
A keyed chuck above 1/2" has a lot going for it., IMHO.
Lew

Ok then, 2 votes NO against the keyless. I'll forget about that. That takes, thank goodness, Craftsman out of the hunt.
Leon wrote:

Here's a 16-speed (220-3600 rpm), 3/4 hp, floor drill press for $190. You'll probably have to provide your own keyless chuck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?ItemnumberC378
Leon wrote:

That's why pliers were invented.
My experience is it is a great depth gage if you use pliers for final setting.
A 16-speed, 3/4 hp, floor drill press Is pretty basic "jelly bean" offering.
Uses 3 sheaves and 2 belts to make speed changes.
Never had a problem with vibration on mine.
Make sure you have a gear and rack to lift/lower table.
Make sure quill is equipped with std morse taper (Joe AutoDrill time).
Equip with a removeable machinest vice to insure easy location of drill bit on work piece.
(Drilling a hole 1/64 off sucks)
IMHO, a drill press is definitely a KISS product.
Have fun.
Lew

Uh huh.

Yeah, I'v been doing the for 30 years I'm tire of that. I am looking for features that will encourage me to use the DP rather than pull out the corded hand drill. ;!)

Yeah.
Good to know! Regular V Belts or the newer thin ribbed style?

Absolutely, one of the reasons to upgrade.

Most all I am lookng at are #2 Morris and or #3 Jacobs.

Already have that.

Thanks Lew
"Leon" wrote:

If a hand drill gets the job done, you don't NEED no dang drill press.

Standard old "V" belts.
Don't forget, the quill is operating at relatively low RPM thus vibration will be minimal, if any.
Have fun.
Lew
"HeyBub" wrote

saw or the Festools. It just wouldn't MATCH, you know. :-)

That Green color is all wrong, it just wouldn't do at all! Actually the quill travel is the same as mine and the reason I want to upgrade.
"Leon" wrote:

If you stop and think about it, the need for quill travel is a function of the length of available bits.
Since most bits are in the 6"-8" max length, would expect quill travel to be pretty much the same from model to model.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Obviously you need the longer drill bits for the extra quill travel to do you any good... They aren't that tough to find.
I've got a Ridgid DP15000 that I bought about 15 years ago. It only has a 3-1/4" quill travel and I've run into that limit WAY too many times; I've been wishing for an upgrade ever since. I agree with Leon; my next drill press will most certainly have at least 5" of travel, and that's probably my #1 requirement. I've been casually looking at potential replacements for probably more than five years now, and after seeing the Delta 20-950 (20-inch, 1HP, variable speed (200-2500 RPM), 5/8" chuck, 6" of quill travel) I don't see how I could settle for anything less...
http://www.deltaportercable.com/Products/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID 684
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.

There you go, I am not the only one thinking this way. LOL
I just did notice that the 20-950 does have the 200 rpm as the slowest speed, which is plenty slow enough for larger Forstner bits. And no screwing around switching belts around to change speeds.

Actually the quill travel on mine is 3.125" I am looking at almost 5" possibly 6" for a replacement. Long quill travel means less table adjustment for me.