The ever expanding/shrinking workshop

Page 1 of 2
Some time ago, my workshop was getting so disorganised and cluttered, I had no option but to have a big cleanout and re-organise everything efficiently. I built more benches and wall storage and made everything neat and tidy. I was amazed at how much space I created. (It's only about 500 sq ft.) Then .... I realized I could fit a planer/jointer in without *too* much trouble. At a pinch I could get a second TS as a ripsaw. And of course I would need a shopvac. *Sigh* Back to square one. Not enough room to swing a cat. Have been pondering extensions. Thought about another 250 sq ft and how I would use that. Then decided that if I extended, I would always regret not going the whole hog. So it became an extra 500 Sq ft. That would be perfect. Any man would be happy with that. Could do anything with that much space. ...... Anything? ...... hmmmm ........ with so much space, I could build larger projects, - even play with wooden boats again. ....... then I'd need more space of course ........
I think I need a Bex and a lie down. Maybe then my sanity will return. I'm not hopeful.
diggerop (whose wallet has the following written on it in large red letters, "Not to be used for woodworking purposes.")
diggerop said:

Is this a drive by gloat, mate? ;-) How many people here would love to have 500 sq ft? Approximately half of a garage here, which is only 400 sq ft total, although there is some (ply)wood storage along the wall of the forbidden zone. And automotive tools, gardening tools, brooms, paint, renovation supplies, and plants brought indoors for the winter. The terrain doesn't allow for more construction either. Personally, after all the residing, rewindowing, reframing, and reroofing would like to forget I ever saw the hole mess and start over elsewhere with a nice single story in the middle no nowhere. Say, what's property going for in the Outback?
Last attempt to organize (3 days ago!) resulted in a 2 hour session of OMG where did all this crap come from and where can I put it... It's better now, but the laws of physics seem to be immotile here...
One thing to remember is that no matter how much room you have, junk will expand to fill available space. If you're gonna build, do it up right the first time. A divided finishing area, a separate boat/auto/loading area walled from the shop so that moving materials and vehicles doesn't suck the heat from the shop area. Material storage.
Well, one can (pipe) dream, no?...
Greg G.

be able to spread out a little. Having grown up in the wheatbelt and worked mainly in the Kimberly and Pilbara, Perth seems so cramped and crowded. How people keep their sanity in places like Hong Kong or New York has me beat. Even that's changing. Land prices have doubled where I live in the last 6 years. Everyone wants a 4 bedroom/2 bathroom house as a minimum. So house blocks are shrinking. Ours is the traditional 1/4 acre size, while over the other side of the street, a new subdivision is being completed with block sizes about 1/3 the size of ours. The eaves of the houses they are building are almost touching the neighbors'. Almost no yard space. Suburban ghettoes, I call them.

My pipe dream includes a 5T overhead travelling gantry crane in a 100 x 60 shed. Separate sections for storage, woodwork, major projects, paint booth, welding/steelworks and dedicated car restoration area.
Dreams are good. : )
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

I know you know how to operate one, but why do you want a 5T overhead traveling gantry crane? Actually, don't answer. I think I know why. I think it would be cool to excavate on a whim too. : ) I think it would be fun to have some arc and oxy-acetylene welding equipment too!
Bill

The gantry crane is built into the internal structure. Runs on overhead parallel beams, can be positioned at will via electric drives. Doesn't excavate, it lifts. Handy as a pocket on a shirt. Great for lifting steelwork, heavy machinery and most importantly, wooden boat hulls. Would also cost far more than the building, but this is a dream so that's ok.
diggerop
diggerop wrote:

Thank you for the lesson! Bill

Out home had a walk out lower level that housed a 4-car garage, set up as 2 cars wide by 2 cars deep and separated by a 10' tall roll-up door. The 2+2 garage also formed one wall of my workshop. This garage arrangement was terrific on cold or hot days, since the inner garage was at house temperature despite whether the outer doors were open or closed. Ceiling height in the lower level basement was 12' and there was an exposed I-beam in the rear garage.
While not nearly as elaborate as your gantry crane, I got a Harbor Freight roller truck to mount on the lower section of the I-beam and used it to suspend a 1-ton chain hoist. I could drive my pickup in with a load, such as a 20" planer, and using the chain hoist lift it a few inches to clear the truck bed. Once lifted, I'd drive the truck out and lower the item onto a roller platform I built. . . rolling it right into my shop. With the kids gone and nobody to help, it was a really great thing to have around.
--
Nonny

You cannot make a stupid kid smart by
diggerop said:

McMansions here. Using the term ghetto tends to piss-off those who don't understand the word's etymology. It carries a racial connotation here. I called one particular locality a corporate ghetto once and a dude spit on the ground. He was not Jewish. Or Italian.

I don't even want to think about the metalworking stuff. Or the car stuff. I've had a need as of late for a lathe and welding equipment. No where to put it and moving stuff that heavy has become problematic. Your gantry crane seems quite prudent.
When in my teens, worked for a guy in Newnan, GA who owned most of the town. He gave me the creeps and the commute was miserable so the job didn't last long, but he had a large collection of exotic sports, racing, and luxury cars stored in a huge, rambling building constructed as post and beam, gravel floor with vapour barrier, and fibreglass panel roof. Nice setup if you're a crook. Last I heard he was in Federal Prison for selling stolen cars badged with insurance write-off VINs at his car lots. What a Guy!
It's damned tough to get rich while honest these days.
Greg G.
diggerop said:

Like this:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/AerialAtlanta-2.jpg
And this:
http://webpages.charter.net/videodoctor/images/AerialAtlanta-5.jpg
You can lay in bed and hear the neighbors fart. (No I don't live in one.)
Shudder.
Greg G.
diggerop wrote:

I am curious--with so much unoccupied land, why are Australians so driven to crowd themselves into cities?

"J. Clarke" wrote:

Ever been to Toronto?
Same thing, especially in the burbs.
Minimal yards with a common park near by.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Smaller house on a reasonable piece of land for the size of the house. I have friends in some of those areas you have seen, almost have to turn sideways to walk between the houses. At one of these houses I went to a party once, 10 people in lawn chairs and the backyard was full.
--
Froz...

On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 09:51:52 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

What, you want a large yard and driveway you have to shovel clear of snow _every_ _day_? I don't blame the Great White Northers.
-- You know, in about 40 years, we'll have literally thousands of OLD LADIES running around with TATTOOS, and Rap Music will be the Golden Oldies. Now that's SCARY! --Maxine
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

A major reason I left Ohio for SoCal.
Could hire people to shovel the stuff but got tired of being up to my arm pits in 6 ft of partly cloudy from November to May every year.
Standing at my front day on a 70F Christmas day and seeing the snow on the mountains to the north has it's advantages.
Lew
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 19:45:38 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"

Amen, and I've never lived in snowy country. It dropped an inch or two in Arkansas when I was a boy, and it occasionally sticks here in OR, but I've never lived in frozen wasteland and never want to.
My idea of snow when I lived in LoCal was to spend an hour driving up to Mt. Palomar, take an hour there playing in the snow (in t-shirts, with the hot winds blowing on us from the Borrego Desert), and then head home.
No shoveling needed, no snow chains required, no blizzards to survive, just fun.
Works for me.
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
scrawled the following:

Smart man.
--
Nonny

What does it mean when drool runs

Then there's the alternative.
Grass to cut, Lawnmower to run, Fertilizer to spread, Clippings to compost,
Agreed, summer has it's better side, but it has some downsides too.
snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com wrote:

But we have to do that here too, but only for a couple of months.
--
Froz...

On Sat, 14 Nov 2009 18:48:21 -0500, the infamous snipped-for-privacy@teksavvy.com scrawled the following:

Nah, I didn't DO lawns. See the pic of my shaving horse on my website if you don't believe me. I've taken flak for that for years now. Heh!
-- When we are planning for posterity, we ought to remember that virtue is not hereditary. -- Thomas Paine
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:47:18 -0800, Larry Jaques

They really are silly in Canuckistan, eh? When I lived in Vermont I never shoveled out the my 1/2 acre yard. ;-)
The driveway was made short work with an 8HP snow blower. I sold it when I moved to Alabama. ;-))