The Color of Poplar, Internal Tension and TS Splitters

Page 2 of 2
On Wednesday, February 4, 2015 at 11:07:20 AM UTC-5, RonB wrote:

m a few that were over 60" to large number between 25" and 35".

teresting (at least to me) situation.

ome cases I wasn't able to rip more than halfway through the board before i t would bind up. Early on I was pulling the boards back out (with the saw o ff, of course) flipping them and coming in from the other end to complete t he rip.

hat nervously) ripping the darker ones without the splitter/guard. I don't know for sure that all of the darker ones would have jammed around the spli tter, but I can say for certain that none of the lighter ones did.

tooth cuts a wider kerf than the D1040X, so I might not have had the bindin g problem, but I don't think it was sharp enough to have given me such a cl ean edge. I have read about internal stresses causing kickback and other is sues, but this was the first time that I actually experienced it first hand - not kickback, but the closing of the kerf on the splitter.

tub-tenons.

ks, but just barely, and it's not big enough for the MDF panels I'll need f or the kitchen doors. ....

and it can stain up very nicely.
...snip...
I'm not sure where you got the impression that I was "writing off the darke r poplar". I merely mentioned that it acted differently while ripping, so I used a different process to rip it, i.e. no splitter.
It's all going to be painted, so the original color is not an issue for me.
(BTW...I'm glad it all worked out nicely for your son)
On 2/4/2015 10:07 AM, RonB wrote:

True, dat.
I do find that a dark gel stain works best with poplar though, particularly if there is much heartwood in the project.
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 2/5/2015 7:37 AM, Swingman wrote:

Some furniture manufacturers will use stained poplar in place of walnut when the part is not in a prime viewing location. Reinforcements/bracing that might sometimes be visible.

I've never seen that with poplar, but our northern version may be different.
Hickory, OTOH...
djb
--
³Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness
sobered, but stupid lasts forever.² -- Aristophanes