Taper for a Candle Holder ?

I'm thinking of making some candle holders out of some cherry.
How would you make a tapered hole to receive a candle?
Thanks, Stoutman
--
www.garagewoodworks.com

If you're turning them, boring a tapered hole shouldn't be a problem. If you are needing to drill the hole, reshaping a spade bit will work. Go slow.

I don't own a lathe. I am going to try and replicate some antique (barn style ?) candle holders. The original uses brass to receive the candle.

7/8 taper to 3/4 is pretty standard, so I reground a spade bit to do the job. There is also the option of candle cups of metal or wood. Some can be recessed out of sight.

In the absense of a lathe, bore a 3/4" hole, then rebore a 7/8" hole half way down. Put a small brass spike in the bottom.
Dave
Stoutman wrote:

This could be it...: http://www.mikestools.com/875-2012-Candlestick-Drill-Bit-12mm.aspx

Well, if you start with a 3/4" hole, you have an excuse to buy one of these... *g* http://www.bealltool.com/products/threading/countersink.php
Mac

Don't bother tapering the hole, the candle can cope with that.
Candleholders really should be lined with a non-charring non-flammable liner. I make and sell candle sconces, I've done the experiments! Although you probably couldn't set one on fire by deliberately trying to, you'll easily get charring if you let the candle burn out. That's either ugly to look at afterwards, or translates to angry customers later.
So mine always use a copper cup to receive the candle. You can buy these from craft shops at great expense, or you can use plumber's end caps for 22mm pipe (cheap, if you buy bagfuls from the right place).