Table Saw Safety & The CPSC

Page 2 of 2

It does, other than that.

So can't you simply open the door when you engage it? Or, if you're that big, just reach over with the other foot.
Piece o' cake, duck soup, mon.
-- In reality, serendipity accounts for one percent of the blessings we receive in life, work and love. The other 99 percent is due to our efforts. -- Peter McWilliams

There's a good reason all manufacturers officially refer to them as PARKING brakes rather than EMERGENCY brakes. They are better than no brakes in an emergency, but (varying with different vehicles) not by much.

emergency brake that was under the steering wheel and pulled horizontally. When the brakes gave out, I was moving at a pretty good clip down the street and a bunch of cars were in front of me, waiting at a light. I went to pull the brake and discovered to my horror, that I could not pull it hard enough to stop the vehicle. I had to lean over to the right to get enough leverage to stop the truck. But then, I could not see out the windshield. So I quickly calculated where I would steer to get the truck off the road and not hit the cars in front of me. I steered with one hand and pulled on the brake with the other hand. And hoped nothing terrible would happen..
When it was all over, I looked up and discovered I had just missed a utility pole by inches and another parked truck by inches. Somehow I had stopped the truck in between those two things, not hit anything and got the truck almost all the way off the road, up onto the sidewalk. Once I realized what happened, I just started to shake and sweat. I took a couple minutes to calm down, walked to the corner and made a call. And I yelled a lot. I was really upset. He came out and towed the truck away. I did not drive the truck after that.
The other time was in my own vehicle. It was a very straightforward foot emergency brake on the left side. Easy to get at and very effective. I was going down a steep hill towards a major street. The brakes failed. There was nobody else around, no traffic or pedestrians. I stomped on the emergency brake and the truck started to swerve a little. I had to release the brake a couple times to get the vehicle under control. I ended up going off the road into a parking lot. It was a little scary, but it was just me and the truck.
When I stopped, I looked up to see where I was and discovered I had brought the truck to a stop at a brake and muffler shop! I was shocked. So I eased it a little bit further into the parking lot and went in and told them what happened. He wrote me up and posted a sign on the truck letting everybody know there was no brakes. I understood that the pushed the truck into the shop by hand.
I walked home and came back the next day to pick it up. I can honestly say that is the only time I ever had a vehicle break down right in front of the shop. Saved me the cost of a tow.

The problem with today's drivers is that most of them can't even steer, let alone DRIVE a vehicle. I believe in mandatory emergency (or performance) driving courses and mandatory gun handling courses for every citizen. We'd eliminate a lot of our vehicular deaths and maimings plus reduce the number of criminals if we'd face that. People wouldn't be afraid of guns or cars nearly as much as they are now.

Soccer Moms are second, followed by hormonal male teenagers.
Today's tidbit of wisdom: The definition of a jerk is "someone driving slower than you are." The definition of a maniac is "someone driving faster than you."
-- Self-development is a higher duty than self-sacrifice. -- Elizabeth Cady Stanton
On Sun, 04 Dec 2011 11:00:50 -0800, Larry Jaques wrote:

Amen to that.
I'm old enough to remember when teenage boys were the most reckless drivers, but that appears to have been only because most teenage girls back then didn't drive.
And quite a few of those boys (myself included) were good enough drivers to get out of most of the situations our overactive hormones got us into.
I've learned the hard way to keep my mouth shut when my wife is driving, and she's a lot better than most.

On 12/4/2011 12:00 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

"Just Wondering" wrote
My vote's for people who learned to drive in another country. *************************
You are close to right. I direct traffic for moms and dads dropping the kids off at school every day. I started wearing an orange vest this year to keep from becoming road kill. My primary fear is from people that come from other countries and have never learned to drive, until they come to the USA.
You just have to be over 18, and pass a written and drive once around a block without hitting anything.
Remember everyone, these types are on the road with you every day!
-- Jim in NC
On 12/4/2011 12:28 PM, Swingman wrote:

But the real question is, once she gets there does she wait for the stop sign to turn green, then with no real idea whose TURN it is, negotiates using mysterious visual cues with the other drivers to see who's going to take the initiative? "Right of way" - what's that? :-)

Ah yes, the triple S's...
Skirt on a cellphone in a Sunfire. See them spun out in ditches everywhere, all winter long.
--
Woodworking and more at <http://www.woodenwabbits.com

More likely any increase in accidents was due to lack of training. People using ABS for the first time often thought there was a brake system defect when they experienced the pedal pulsation the ABS causes when it is active and let up on the brakes. And people who were trained to pump the brakes in poor traction continued to do so with ABS, resulting in reduction inn braking performance.

On 12/4/11 9:30 PM, Larry W wrote:

...were trained by fools.
--

-MIKE-

skidding on ice, where in pre-ABS days controlled pumping of brakes was (and is) an effective method of regaining control of braking.

On 12/5/11 6:39 PM, Larry W wrote:

I guess I don't call that "pumping the brakes," but just letting off the brakes if they lock up. I still have a friend who refuses to accept that his late model car with ABS will stop faster in snow than he can by "pumping" his brakes. Even after I, other friends, the dealer, and the mechanic told him the chattering he felt in the pedal was simply the evidence of the actual process used by the ABS, he still thinks it's a malfunction and he will still "pump" his brakes.
Every winter, I introduce several people here in the south to the apparently mysterious concept of down shifting with an automatic transmission in slick weather.
--

-MIKE-

On 12/4/2011 10:30 PM, Larry W wrote:

Until you have ABS go off on dry pavement as you attempt to slow down normally to avoid ramming the stopped traffic in front of you, you ain't experienced the wonders of ABS. I pulled the fuse on my GMC truck after 3 fixes under warranty and one out of warranty. These things reduce braking power by 1/2 it seems.
--
Jack
Got Change: General Motors ===> Government Motors!

Didn't we have this same conversation a few months ago? Your assertion is possibly true for a defective system or perhaps one that has been poorly designed, but there is no question that ABS results in better stopping distances except for very skilled drivers, and for them only in straight line stops on dry pavement.

On 12/5/2011 7:42 PM, Larry W wrote:

Yes, nothing has changed.

Not possible, absolute.
or perhaps one that has been poorly designed,
They are designed to detect locked up wheels and when detected, pulsate the breaks rapidly. This means the breaks are NOT on half the time, the result is half the breaking power. This is OK if you are sliding, it is not OK if you are simply stopping.
but there is no question that ABS results in better stopping

If you ever had them go off at 45 mph on dry pavement when simply performing a normal non-sliding stop, you would sing a different tune. For me, They can keep their ABS crap. At best, they could have a switch to turn them on in icy, snowy conditions. For me, and according to my garage, many other GMC owners, the best thing is to just pull the fuse.
--
Jack