Table Saw - 14" blade?

Seems to me I prefer a bigger saw than just a 10 incher. The table is really small for a x-cut sled too. I know bigger isn't always better, but it seems like the bigger table/power/resaw capacity of a 14" saw really has its benefits. Any downside?
JP
Jay Pique wrote:

Only one, really, assuming you have the room... $$$ (oh, and you may have no real choice other than 3-phase so that's yet more $$$ if don't have already).
dpb wrote:

Altho, of course, one might find used stuff for a relative song owing to the tendency of lack of interest in the mass market for the size and the 3-phase hang up so that the cost of a phase converter might about balance out...
As BARRY notes, blades for that puppy aren't going to be cheap, either...
If I were looking, I think I'd look first at 12" as a compromise...
(Of course, I have a 16" RAS so aren't really limited by the 10" TS for much of anything I've ever wanted to do so I can afford to say think smaller... :) )
I've used one, and the big drawback for me was that you have an increased reach to push your wood thru the cut. sometimes it felt like I was standing on my tiptoes to get the wood thru
(maybe this isn't a problem if you're taller than 5'8")
-Woodson

Can you find a 14" saw that will run in other than an industrial district, think Electricity.
Leon wrote:

Grizzly's G7209. - $2,752.50
http://www.grizzlytools.com/products/14-Table-Saw-Pro-Cabinet-Style-5-HP-Single-Phase-220V/G7209
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Put some sand paper on one side, and a strop on the other. While one person uses the saw, the other one can be sharpening chisels. ;-)
Puckdropper

Jay Pique wrote:

Check out blade prices.
B A R R Y wrote:

Already covered it...$$$ :)

if you are willing to wait and buy when the right saw shows up you shouldn't have any problem finding a delta 12/14 with a single phase 240 volt motor. lurk your local craigslist and auctions.
7" and 10" blades have the advantage of availability of lots of cheap blades. 12" blades are becoming more common with the trend in larger compound miter saws. cheap 14" blades are a lot harder to find. the 12/14 saw has the advantage of having a removable arbor. you can get an arbor for it to run 10" blades to take advantage of your existing blade inventory.
I have a 12/14 Delta table saw. Made in 1966. It'a single phase.
It has a 3hp motor and will cut just about anything with no problem.
The only advantage to a 14" blade is the depth of cut.
The big disadvantage is the cost and lack of variety in 14" blades.