swinging chair help

I have seen a wooden hammoc style chair a few years ago and finally decided to make my own and have a question regarding board separation. I drew a quick sketch of the style to better explain what I need. N.T.S.
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd205/dbrasga/swingingchair.jpg
I am using rope along each side but need to keep the boards from sliding together. There two ideas I have are 1. providing a knot in between each board. 2. making a filler piece to place between each board (like a dowel with a hole.) Does anyone have any other ideas or thoughts.
thinking I am thoughtless..
Dave

I would avoid knots because I think they would compress over time, and with different forces on different sections of the chair, I think you will get uneven spacing after a while. That assumes that you could even tie the knots exactly the same every time and actually *start* with even spacing in all 50 or so gaps.
Think about the look you are after. Round spacers will give the chair a totally different look than square spacers. (my own mental eye is opting for round spacers right now). Also keep in mind that the thickness of the walls of the spacers might impact the performance of the chair also. Thin walled pipes might dig into the wood after extended seat time.
A different color or species of wood for the spacers would also make a visual impact, if that is the type of thing you're going for.
Good luck!
On Oct 2, 4:51 pm, DerbyDad03 wrote:

deck someone was throwing away, recycling helps. I could always use a clear finish on the slats and stain the fillers
Dave FL
"Dave" wrote in message

I'm about there myself, but just short of that condition I came up with this "bead" thought for starters:
http://www.craftparts.com/mall/Beads_Round.asp
... something on there with a larger hole size might save the day. If you have a lathe, even better ...
... just a thought. ;)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
On Oct 2, 5:07 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

DerbyDad03 mentioned, a dowel would eventually dig into the boards, these would roll nicely. Something for me to think about. But what the hey! the wood was free and I am having a ball.
Dave FL
Dave wrote:

Without the slats being fastened to at least a couple of contoured "stretchers" to hold the shape all you'll end up with is one awfully uncomfortable "U" shaped swing.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On Oct 2, 5:55 pm, Nova wrote:

There will be a knot at the base (by the knees) and another under the armrests to adjust the "U-shape". The armrests will act as "stretchers" This type of chair will actually conform to your body. The one I've seen 15 years ago was very comfortable.
Thanks for your advice, Dave FL
Dave wrote:

Beads. Round beads.
--

dadiOH
Dave wrote:

Be sure to use dacron rope. Nylon stretches and the only good(?) thing about polypropylene is that it floats.
--

dadiOH