Suggestions on portable table saw

Page 2 of 2

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/partsdirect/retrieveModelAction !retrieve.action?modelNumber=N60FN&method:retrieve=x&pop=flush
Arrgh . $43.85 ? Stanley Bostitch has it for $27.00
But thanks anyway. uh............... do you work for Sears? <BG>
Max

I know your j/k but no I'm not a Sears fanboy. I've just had to deal with them over the years. The TS has some sentimental value for being the same age as me... If I admit it's too old then I guess I'm, well....you know...
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Never admit you're too old. I have a 12" Craftsman bandsaw and a scroll saw (nee jigsaw)that are close to my age (68). They need parts made from time to time and some TLC, but then so do I. All antiques are in fine fettle thank you very much.     mahalo,     geezer jo4hn

I have one. Within its limitation of weight, size and big horsepower, it is wonderful. I don't go on an installation without it on the truck.

And you still won't.

So would I.

I'm sure that Bosch would be fine too.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote in

I have the Bosch, and for me it was the best way to go, I don't have a whole lot of space, and with the gravity rise stand, you can fold it up and move it up next to a wall...
The factory settings were really close, and any adjustments are made from -outside- the saw....and it has a riving knife...
The factory blade made for a rough cut, but I had a nice Freud from my old saw ( Craftsman Contractors saw that was just too big ) and once replaced the saw cuts wonderfully...just a pass or two with a smoother and the saw marks are gone....
Hope this helps...
Bosch parts take FOREVER to arrive and are unorderable after a few years. I would go with the Craftsman, or look at a Delta or Rockwell. You can get parts for any of them pretty easily.
I'm prejudiced because of bad experiences with Bosch portable tools. The tools were fine when they worked, but when they broke, I was without them for weeks while parts were shipped from God knows where. My Rockwell saw is 25 years old and still works as well as the day I bought it.
Sears is a good source for parts.
Regarding the router table feature... My experience is that if I buy a tool with 2 functions, neither function works well. Buy yourself the best saw you can, then build a router table. It's a simple project and a good thing to build for practicing new techniques. Heck, you don't really care too much about how good or bad it looks, so you can use scraps and try dovetails for the drawers, etc. if you want to. If you don't want to practice, just cut it out of plywood and nail it together. Throw some casters on it and away you go. (Use 2 pieces of 3/4" melamine for the top and you're set.
Norm Abram had a nice plan and show on building a router table on the New Yankee Workshop a while back.

> I am looking for a compact portable table saw for some around the

Bosch or DeWalt, but I'd pass on Craftsman.
Also, take a look at the NYW web site.
A few years ago, Norm built a knock apart table for a compact saw that just might interest you.
Have fun.
Lew
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Generally speaking a tool designed to preform two separate functions will not preform either function very well.
Nothing is more frustrating than a tool that almost works well. Think 44 1/2 degree miters and a router that can be accurately adjusted to 1/8 inch tolerances.
Their primary design function is to appear to be a good value.
LdB