Straightening Plywood Doors

Hello All!

I made a frame and plywood doors to go over a mirrored closet area. The problem now is that the doors are terribly warped. One of the doors protrudes past the other by more and 1". Doors are 96" tall and 17" wide. I've fastened magnetic catched to the top of the frame to secure the tops of the doors, but the bottoms are terrrrible! They are still unfinished and will remain so until this problem is resolved!

All assistance will be most gratefully recived!

Alain

Reply to
A.Pismo Clam

Shit happens, Alain. I've had this happen a couple of times to me, and the only fix I've ever found to work is to make new doors. If the warp was slight, you might have got away with trimming the doors and resetting the hinges to try to average things out or at least disguise the kink, but with a 1" warp in 8 feet that's not a door, it's a banana.

Sorry to be so negative.

Cheers

Frank

NB - Use properly conditioned straight-grained timber next time. 20% MC knotty stuff straight from the builders yard really is no good for door-making.

"A.Pismo Clam" the tops of the doors, but the bottoms are terrrrible! They are still

Reply to
Frank McVey

This is considered "fine firewood" and goes out back to the pile for the annual "burn all my projects I screwed up" fire.

Plywood is not a good choice for a door of that size.

Consider a "frame & panel" door with two or more panels made of mdf. This assumes a "paint finish"....

If you are stuck with a stain grade finsih, still go with the frame & panel and use plywood for the panels and hardwood for the frame.

A.Pismo Clam wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

What I was told when I looked into making these, is to finish them immediately, if not sooner. Then pray.

I'm going to build with 1-2" edge around, held on with biscuits, and hope that it eliminates the issue totally.

thanks,

--randy

"A.Pismo Clam" the tops of the doors, but the bottoms are terrrrible! They are still

Reply to
Randy Chapman

Try Clamping the doors together with a block of wood between them so as to warp it in te oppistite direction by twice as much leave them clamped for a few day of even a week. spray them with water and let them dry while clamped . This is not a sure cure it is a Hail Mary sometimes it works and sometimes it will sprig right back to where it was. Good Luck George

lam" the tops of the doors, but the bottoms are terrrrible! They are still

Reply to
George M. Kazaka