starter pin

Is there a "set in stone" location for a starter pin in a router table base?
No.

base?
Tim Taylor wrote:

No, the ideal pin location is dependent on the size of the cutter and the work. On shaper tables or manufactured router tables they take a guess and generally put in two or three at roughly 2-3" distances from the spindle at one or more locations. Generally, of course, you want to feed into the cutter rotation and away from the initial end grain of the work. Where the best feed point is is also dependent on the shape being cut and the grain orientation.
Tim Taylor wrote:

No, but I like mine fairly close to the cutter for the work I do.
Dave

Thanks for the answers everyone.

No, mine is set in MDF.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

HAHHHAHAH Stop it!!!! A million comedians out of work........ Thanks

base?
In the hole.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Again? Don't quit your day job! :-)
Don't have a hole yet, just made my plate. That's why I was wondering. But I will take you answer into consideration.
Tim Taylor wrote:

1. Close enough to the bit so that the stock you're working on can contact both the pin and the bit's pilot bearing.
2. Far enough away from the bit so that the bit doesn't strike the pin.
HTH ;-)
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Mine is in the drawer.

Nope, I made a series of holes in my plate to suit the particular project.
Dave