starrett square

what's an old starrett No. 20 try square worth? I dont mean to sell, I mean to buy...

Reply to
tmbg

do you mean one of these?

nospam

Reply to
tmbg

well, here's the new price, full retail:

on to your hat.

Bridger

Reply to
nospam

I can't make that link work :( I checked highland hardware (which I know sells them, I've fondled the damn things there but cant remember how much they sold for), but their site doesn't list them.

are the old ones going to be as precision as the new ones? I let one go on ebay for $24! :( because I was asleep when it closed

Reply to
tmbg

The MSC price is $168 or $173, depending on finish.

OUCH!

I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I'm SURE it wasn't THAT much...I didn't have that kind of cash when I got mine!

Mike

Reply to
The Davenports

holy crap on a stick! Well... question is, how bad do I need one? I guess I dont really *need* one, I have a crown 9" try, and it's probably square enough for anything I am likely to do, but I'd really love to have the Starrett... I have 4 starrett micrometers, a #231 that my grandfather gave me before he died, in the original wooden box with the wrench and the little rag and everything :), plus a set of #436's, 1" 2" and 3", and I kinda wanted to get a starrett try square and straightedge, (and mabye precision rule too) to go along with my mic's :)

Reply to
tmbg

here's the long version:

of a word wrap....

it's msc direct. $173.04 Bridger

Reply to
nospam

that link worked, thanks :)

that's pretty pricey alright :P I'd like to have one, but I dont think I'll be paying list anytime soon.

Reply to
tmbg

Buy a Mititoyo. Just as good and 1/3 the price.

Reply to
CW

Know any tech school associates?

I know a high school kid who attends a local trade school machinist's program. He gets 15-20% at MSC, Grainger, etc...

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

I probably have bid against you a time or two, they seem to go into the 60's quite a bit.

Have you considered the Incra squares. They give accuracy to .001 at any point over the length. The price in woodpeckers is $36.95 for

5-1/2" x 4" or $46.95 for 7-5/16" x 5-1/2".

Sets with a 45 degree square are $70 and $80.

Don't own any, but I love all my other Incra goodies.

Reply to
Alan W

I haven't bid on any of them yet, don't blame me! :)

I mostly want the starrett for sentimental reasons :P I don't really need that kind of accuracy for my QnD plywood projects :)

Reply to
tmbg

Wow! I didn't expect a price tag THAT high. My limit is 100 bucks for a square. Wonder how I made all this fine furniture with a $10 Stanley square.

Reply to
Phisherman

I've done pretty well with my $14 Crown square, and a small framing square... I dont like cheap speed squares much.

Reply to
tmbg

a square like the starrett is a great thing to have in the woodshop- as a master square. use it to check your other squares, or occationally in machine setups- and the rest of the time keep it in it's box in a safe place. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

?&User_ID=1105050&St=5483&St2=65823569&St3=38168231&DS_ID=1cut and paste this. Maybe they have some left

Richard Williams