Stair tread and risers

Page 2 of 2

I was going to say the same thing. Carpet plus pad are likely 1/4", perhaps more. Take a 1/4 off, add 3/8 is a small enough difference it's not going to be noticed.
A more likely to be noticed difference, in the short term, is if the new treads have a lip overhanging the risers. Since the carpeted stairs probably didn't, you've got something new to catch your toes going up...
John
On Monday, March 23, 2015 at 3:31:04 PM UTC-4, John McCoy wrote:

Does anybody know the ratio of stairs with a waterfall installation vs. cap and band?
I've always had cap and band done. I think it looks so much better.
This guy says cap and band is the "preferred method".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWgT3z-FHNI

On Mon, 23 Mar 2015 19:30:11 +0000 (UTC), John McCoy

nosing. The original carpetting on the upstairs stairway was "waterfalled" but the basement stairs and replacement carpet on the upper stairs is "nosed". It looks different, but no difference in climbing the stairs.
Strange that in North America a nose is REQUIRED on closed riser stairs under 11 inches (depth of tred) and in Australia, for instance, the nose is NOT ALLOWED.
On 3/22/2015 6:17 PM, Meanie wrote:

Prefinished will typically have a superior finish to what you could apply and very often has a life time warranty.
On 3/23/2015 5:00 PM, Leon wrote:

I have a high quality laminate on the stairs from the lower level. I have some pre-finished wood in the family room. These are the two most heavily traveled places in the house. Both look as good as the day they were put down. The wood about 10 years, the laminate at least 25 years. Much superior than the typical poly finish we'd use.