Stain won't dry - finishing question

Hi everyone, I have a solid pine coffee table top that I stained about 6 days ago. I wanted a dark stain so I laid it on pretty heavy (minwax jacobbean). Well, the entire board is really dry & colored nicely, but there's one knot that is still slightly sticky. It's been in the sun several times and I've had a fan blowing across it, but still no luck.

So my question is this: if I use a spray on satin finish (prob. about 3 coats), would this very slightly sticky spot show through the clear in the end? Will it somehow trap oxygen under the finish and create a white mark/s underneath, or should I not worry about it?

Please post any advice, Thanks!

John

Reply to
John75

Sounds like you have a pitchy knot. It is capable of staying sticky for years. You can try to cook it out with a hot iron over several layers of absorbent cotton material and then wash it with Turpentine, mineral spirits or other solvent. I made a banister rail that had pitch pockets that I coated over with Shellac. They are still a little tacky, but not objectionable. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

The knot will not dry out anytime soon. Generally, pine knots hold pitch for years. Several others will offer their remedies, here is one of mine. Clean the knot carefully with lacquer thinner. Varnish over the area then re-stain to match the rest of the board.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Thanks for the reply! Those sound like good suggestions, but it took me SO LONG to get it to where the finished color was almost perfect. I'd hate to strip it again if there was any possible way around it.

If it means anything or not... the original board was already finished at one point with a semi-gloss finish. So I'm thinking that if the knot was wet already, it would have messed up the original finish? I guess I just wanted to be sure at least the stain was dry before finishing it. Honestly, I didn't even think of the knot being wet to begin with.

John

Reply to
John75

Thanks for the suggestion Dave, that sounds like a decent fix, but prob. would be hard to match considering I painted the stain on so heavy...maybe not.

So what will the end result be if I just spray over the problem knot? I REALLY didn't want to have to mess with the finish again since it was such a pain to match in the first place (yes, I know it's almost impossible to match the rest of the table, but I got close enough for my purposes).

John

Reply to
John75