Stain or finish for lacewood?

I'm building a coffee table that has a lacewood veneer center (10x40" ) surrounded by a mahogany frame. The lacewood is spectacular and I'm wondering if I should use any form of stain to further accentuate the grain or would a wipe on varnish finish be satisfactory. I have some extra stock to use for testing and would like to hear from someone who has already developed a finish plan for this material.
Hell no ! Lacewood is sweet with just a clear coat. I like General Finishes Armor Seal or Deft or spray lacquer with a rattle can. Some Lacewood is real dark brown or a little red brown, like. Use a dustmask when sanding lacewood.

grain
stock
Don't stain it! I've made projects with lacewood, and the most stunning finish I've found is Waterlox wiping varnish. It'll make the lacewood pop almost in 3D. Get waterlox from Russ Ramirez at www.woodfinishingsupplies.com
Glenn

grain
stock
I like your suggestion. Do you recommend using the Waterlox on the mahogany edges, frame and legs. Is it durable enough for coffee table use? Any sealer recommended for the mahogany before applying the Waterlox?
Phill

I did a dining room table with lacewood and did not stain. As to whether or not you should stain the piece that's pretty much up too you now isn't it?
--
Mike G.
snipped-for-privacy@heirloom-woods.net