Squeaky Floorboard Fix?

My dad swore by (and sometimes at) using resin-coated finish nails to quiet squeaks in floorboards.

My understanding of the "why" is that either nails pull loose from the joist below the floor, or the the floorboard softens, giving slack. Over time the board lifts a little, and moving up and down on the nail results in the noise. Resin, heated by the friction of driving, melts and adheres the nail to both the floorboard and joist.

I realize that if rot has occurred in the joist where the nail is secured, this eliminates all simple nail-replacement solutions; other solutions are possible, though, in this case.

Are resin-coated nails still the best solution for squeaks? Indeed, are they still available?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

I have a book here that suggests running a bead of silicone/caulk along the joints of the squeaky boards to eliminate the noise. Never tried it, but I'd imagine it may work. Just another option.

-- Regards,

Dean Bielanowski Editor, Online Tool Reviews

5 Reviews:

- Veritas Shelf Drilling Jig

- Ryobi CID1802V 18v Cordless Drill

- Workshop Essentials Under $30

- Festool PS 300 Jigsaws

- Delta Universal Tenoning Jig

SawEyes

In new construction, the main cause of floor squeaks over properly designed floor systems using dimensional lumber joists is shrinkage due to reduced moisture content. Any subfloor that was not installed with glue (and some that have been!) is likely to develop squeaks.

If the space below is unfinished, I prefer to glue and staple 1X1's to the joist (both) sides. If the space below is finished, I'd try the break-off screws made for just this purpose. Here's an example (never used them)

Eric Ryder

That is sometimes the case. In new construction, glue to avoid. Otherwise, screw to fix. Screws don't always work. Sometimes the squeak occurs where blocking or bridging members are nailed between the joists. These are hard to fix without access to the floor joists. There are some other, more obscure causes of floor squeaks, too.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

I heard there are nails that you drive thru the carpet and break the head off. Not sure where to get, or if they even exist.

Reply to
TomS

Not this is any help at all, but the Japanese war lords of old used to have their floors built to squeak on purpose. They did this so nobody could sneak up on them in their homes.

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

Direct answers to your direct questions.....something this group has a tendency to miss...(in jest y'all lighten up)

Are resin-coated nails still the best solution for squeaks? No. A screw is best and if a nail is to be used a VCS vinyl coated sinker is better.

Indeed, are they still available? Yes they are still available but hard to find. The process of coating fasteners with a cement resin has been replaced with vinyl. Vinyl is what holds the various fasteners together in strips used for nail/staple guns. What the nail gurus noticed was it provided a lubricant for driving the fastener and increased holding power. You can now find hand drive nails in various sizes with the same coating. VCS vinyl coated sinker has for the most part replaced CCS cement coated sinkers.

Reply to
mel

As a former homebuilder, I now realize, there must be a lot of Japanese floor installers.

Preston

Reply to
Preston Andreas

.....whether they were aware of their ancestry or not, right?

Reply to
TexasFireGuy

The Febuary 2004 issue of the magazine titled "The Family Handyman" has a very good article on fixing Squeaky floors. If you can not find it let me know and i will lend you my copy.

The December/January issue of the same magazine had 2 squeaky floor fixes featured in its "new Products section".

Product # 105064

product number 110189 which is similar to the break off screws already posted..

have included the item numbers in the event that the links do not work for you. I hope this is of help.

Dusty

"A man without a wife is like a fish without a bicycle." unknown

Reply to
Dusty Workshop