special hardwood boards

I have source in mid-Michigan for specialty hardwood boards, please e-mail if interested, send name and board length needed. thank you maple, locust, cherry, oak, hickory, ash

Reply to
Ann

What's special about maple, locust, cherry, oak, hickory and ash?

Nova

Jack Nobak responds:

Locust can be a little hard to find around here.

Charlie Self

"The income tax has made liars out of more Americans than golf." Will Rogers

Reply to
Charlie Self

snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.aol.com:

Speaking of Locust... I just bought enough to make my daughter's queen size bed. A word of warning to others, there is a HUGE variation in color among boards and even on the same board. I did my best to pick the rough sawn would with similar red/orange coloration, but once I got it planed down it ranged from dark orange to yellow to brown.

Test boards showed that normal stain did little to make the color slightly more uniform. I've got some anoline dye on order, hopefully that will make a difference.

On the plus side, this wood is CHEAP. I picked up a beautiful 15"x65" piece for $12! I guess at that price I can go back and pick and choose some more till I have enough of one color or the other to make something. At least all of the multitude of colors look nice :)

Jim

Reply to
Jim