Source for veneer core cherry plywood

Starting a kitchen cabinet reface project (all cherry), doors will be tongue and groove rail / stile with a 1/4" plywood panel. I didn't realize what a problem it was going to be to find decent 1/4" plywood. Every local supplier around here (San Diego) only carries imported MDF core junk. The face veneer is so thin on that stuff I don't think it would ever hold up to daily kitchen abuse. Plus it breaks really easily. I found one place in San Diego (THH Hardwood) that said they could order 1/4" veneer core cherry that was domestic, so I went for it. When I went to pickup the order the plywood appeared to be MDF core, the face veneer was as thin as cheap toilet paper - I refused it.

Has anyone had success using the mdf core stuff for cabinet doors? Any suggestions for source for veneer core plywood in Southern California? I'm willing to travel to get quality wood.

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

If you are willing to drive to L/A, there are several plywood distributors serving the cabinet makers.

Should be at least a couple in San Diego.

Forget the retailers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I have scoured the San Diego suppliers, all with the same result. Do you have any names and or contacts for suppliers in LA?

Thanks,

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Sommerville Plywood

Anderson International

Those are a couple off the top of my head.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I too couldn't find decent 1/4" cherry ply in San Diego. Went up to Cut and Dryed in Solona Beach and it was junk. I was also making cabinet doors. Did not try TH&H or Frost because I didn't need a whole sheet. Ended up using my PSA cherry ply veneer that is used on the face frames on 1/4" birch ply and cutting the slots a tad bit wider to fit the additional thickness. Works fine.

Carl wrote:

Reply to
Jerry

I thought of applying veneer myself, it came out to >$100 per sheet. Did you leave the Birch veneer on the inside of the door? Curious how it came out, did you have to stain or dye the birch to match the cherry veneer?

Regards,

Carl

Reply to
Carl