Solid back

I'd like to make a piece of furniture from solid walnut. 30 in. high x 24 in. wide. x 12 in. deep. Any recommendations on joinery to attach back to carcass that will allow for wood movement? I've always used plywood back before, so I didn't have this problem.

Reply to
Jim Staley

Make the back using tongue and groove joints? Leave some room for expansion in some or all of the joints.

Reply to
Stoutman

Two options:

  1. Frame and panel back
  2. "ship lap" solid boards

Both solutions require a rabbit (sp?) to let either the frame or the ship lapped solid boards into the sides, top, and bottom.

Rick

Rick

hope to get there one day...

Reply to
Stoutman

Not sure waht you are actually building here. A common way in older cabinets and cases was to use shiplap or T&G boards for the back, fastened with a nail at center of each end, all fitted into a rabbet going completely around the back. Very frequentyl the boards are given a bevel along the edges that soemwhat softens the look of the gap compared to a 90d edge. You could also use frame & panel construction or some variation thereof. :

Reply to
lwasserm

This has always worked for me, as well as all of the antiques I've purchased and refinished.

Reply to
B A R R Y