Solid back

I'd like to make a piece of furniture from solid walnut. 30 in. high x 24 in. wide. x 12 in. deep. Any recommendations on joinery to attach back to carcass that will allow for wood movement? I've always used plywood back before, so I didn't have this problem.

Make the back using tongue and groove joints? Leave some room for expansion in some or all of the joints.
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

This has always worked for me, as well as all of the antiques I've purchased and refinished.
Jim Staley wrote:

Two options:
1. Frame and panel back 2. "ship lap" solid boards
Both solutions require a rabbit (sp?) to let either the frame or the ship lapped solid boards into the sides, top, and bottom.
Rick http://www.thunderworksinc.com

-Just checked out your web page. You have some very impressive pieces! I hope to get there one day...
--
Stoutman
www.garagewoodworks.com

Not sure waht you are actually building here. A common way in older cabinets and cases was to use shiplap or T&G boards for the back, fastened with a nail at center of each end, all fitted into a rabbet going completely around the back. Very frequentyl the boards are given a bevel along the edges that soemwhat softens the look of the gap compared to a 90d edge. You could also use frame & panel construction or some variation thereof. :
--
Contentment makes poor men rich. Discontent makes rich men poor.
--Benjamin Franklin