SoCal (Simi Valley) Woodworking...

Page 1 of 2
I am moving to Simi Valley, CA tomorrow from Dallas, TX. There we had several Rocklers and Woodcrafts all within 45 minutes of where I lived. Not knowing the lay of the land, does anyone here know any WW supply shops in east Ventura or within, say, 30-40 minutes of east Simi? I saw that there are Rocklers in Pasadena and Torrance. But I don't know which is "close".
I appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Dave
Simi Valley isn't close to anywhere else in Los Angeles...;^)
Actually you can get to either Torrance or Pasadena fairly easily from there but they aren't close.
Coming from Texas you might have a different scale of what constitutes close.
Pasadena is East on the 118 to the 210 and off at Rosemead.
Torrance is East on the 118 to the 405 and then South. Don't know where the Rockler store is down there, I shop at the Pasadena branch.
I'm making an educated guess that you can get to the Pasadena store quicker than the Torrance one. Depending on traffic of course but the 210 typically flows much faster than does the 405.
Welcome to the neighborhood, so to speak...
John

John Emmons wrote:

I know that this is way off topic, but I had to bring it up:
I was recently in CA with my fiancee visiting her family. I'm born and raised in Western Pennsylvania and I just couldn't get over calling the highways "the" - as in "the 210" or "the 405". When we got home, I tried referring to local highways the same way, but it just sounds so wrong: "the 79" or "the 279".
Sorry for the babbling...
Mike wrote:
> I know that this is way off topic, but I had to bring it up: > > I was recently in CA with my fiancee visiting her family. I'm born and > raised in Western Pennsylvania and I just couldn't get over calling the > highways "the" - as in "the 210" or "the 405". When we got home, I > tried referring to local highways the same way, but it just sounds so > wrong: "the 79" or "the 279".
You evidently didn't stick around long enough to pick up on the other thing peculiar to SoCal freeways, NAMES.
I-5 runs from San Diego to Seattle.
Here in SoCal it is also known as "The Golden State", "The Santa Ana" and at least one other name I can't remember right now.
Think it is a holdover back to the days when SoCal had freeways long before the interstate system.
Back then they assigned names.
Even back in your part of the country, you will find people still refer to US30 as the "Lincoln Highway".
I'm with you, highways have numbers.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

Here in Detroit you can take I-75 to "The Fisher" and then connect with "The Chrysler" before you realize that you've been rudely handled.

Chicagoland has its own set of named roads: the Kennedy, the Eisenhower (sometimes called the Ike, not surprisingly), the Stevenson, the Dan Ryan, the Edens, the Calumet, the Skyway, the Tri State, the East/West, the North/South, the Northwest, and the Borman (in Indiana, actually, but part of the Chicagoland landscape). They all have Interstate designations (some of which have changed over the years), but hardly anyone knows them.
In the process of following I-90 from Indiana to Rockford, you will have traversed the Indiana Toll Road, the Skyway, the Dan Ryan, and the Kennedy, until reaching the Northwest Tollway.
Taking I-94 from Indiana to Milwaukee involves the Borman, the Calumet, the Dan Ryan, the Kennedy, and the Edens until you hit the Tri-State.
Even a simple trip from Indiana to Iowa on I-80 gets you from the Indiana Toll Road, to the Borman, to the Tri-State until you're finally set free on I-80 near Hazel Crest.
Tollway, incidentally, describes most of the interstates around Chicago outside of Cook County. Although the Tri-State runs through the western edge of Cook County, and the tolls on the Skyway, the Northwest Tollway begin in Cook County, they are out near the edges. Nonetheless, it is impossible to pass through or even around Chicago on major expressways without paying the governor something--often several times.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Yeah ... tell me! I live in Detroit and my son lives outside St. Paul and Chicago sits in the way. It seems that every time I go out to see him, I find a new way to get lost!
Bill

Part of that is because they renumbered some of the interstates in Chicago a number of years ago. I-90 used to turn west onto the Eisenhower, north for a bit on the Tri-State, then west on what is now I-290 to to the North/South and north to the Northwest Tollway again. I can't remember now if I-94 then stayed on the Kennedy until the Tri-State or whether it always did go up the Edens.
Anyway, the above is now I-290, and I-90 goes out the Kennedy.
The East/West used to be IL 5, but was then designated I-88. I'm told that recently they gave it another name, but much like Washington National Airport, it's a name that will never cross my lips (and for the same reasons).
Shortest way (by about 20 miles) is I-94 to the Indiana Toll Road (I-90), which becomes the Skyway. That merges with the Dan Ryan until Hubbard's Cave (long underpass just after the Eisenhower interchange and just as you pass the Loop) which then becomes the Kennedy. Stay on it (watch out for the Edens junction--it's called The Junction) until the toll plaza where it becomes the Northwest Tollway. That's I-90 all the way (you pick up I-94 again in Madison, WI).
If time is less important, you want to save some money on tolls, and cut down a whole lot on traffic (but don't mind driving an extra 50 miles), just keep on I-94 until it merges with I-80 (the Borman), then stay on I-80 all the way until I-39 (probably 50 miles west of Joliet), and take that north to Rockford, where you pick up I-90 again.
I would do everything I could to avoid the Tri-State.
Years ago, in the '70s and '80s, if you went through Chicago between about 10 A.M. and 3 P.M. (and any darkness hours after about 7 P.M.) you could make pretty good time, missing drive time on each end. In later years, however, traffic has increased to the point that you're almost assured of getting into some slow crawl somewhere along the way, almost any time, day or night.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

I try to time "Chicago" for after midnight. Then still get caught in construction traffic.
Unless I fly. ;-)
Bill

Welcome to Northern Illinois' two seasons--winter and construction.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Not unique to CA. In Houston, we have the Southwest Freeway, Katy Freeway, Northwest Freeway, North Freeway, Eastex Freeway, Beaumont Freeway, Gulf Freeway, NolanRyan Expressway and the list goes on. These are all highways entering and leaving Houston. San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, have names also.

Most things from CA sound really wrong when taken anywhere else.... -- "We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
"

[snip]
When I grew up in Michigan, street and road names related to a physical feature. Dexter Ave. went to the town of Dexter; Oak Street was lined with Oak trees. But Florida has perfected the concept of naming streets, roads and subdivisions for things they aren't.
Highlands Lake Drive doesn't go to Highlands Lake; Quail Ridge is not on a ridge and has no quail Silver Lake is built around a green stormwater retention pond Bright Hill Ave. is not on a hill and is shaded and tree-lined Birch Street has oaks but no birch trees Commerce Ave. has the county and city government buildings; the commercial district is on Ridgewood Dr., which is flat and without trees Military Trail is not a trail and has no armed forces establishments Golf View Harbor has no golf course, no view and no harbor Delray Dunes is not in Delray and is not on the beach,
etc.

Oh, but they've done much, much worse. I moved to FL before the revolution, spent 13 years south and five years north the first time, then four years south and so far 3 years north, so I've had some experience.
When I was a kid, it was pretty easy--streets that started at the beach with one name, kept that name all the way to US 27 (there is no habitable land west of US 27 until you get to the Gulf)...Hollywood Boulevard, Hallandale Beach Boulevard are two examples. Now Hollywood Blvd becomes Pines Blvd (not to me, however) west of State Road 7 (also known as US 441, 60th Avenue, and Seminole Drive) just because Pembroke Pines got big and developed both sides of the road out to 27. Hallandale Beach Blvd becomes Miramar Parkway for the same reason (actually, Hallandale Blvd never went to 27, but you get the idea).
The biggest bitch I have is when they came through and designated all of the major and semi major roads as state roads, complete with a three digit number. To all the people that have been living there for a while Stirling Road is Stirling Road, Griffin Road is Griffin Road, Commercial Blvd is Commercial Blvd, and so on. The problem is, the state's first move was to start marking all the exit and intersection signs solely with the road number. Try being an old timer trying to give directions to someone.
Eventually they managed to add the road names to the signs, so it's not so difficult. For whatever reason they did it, it works okay now because of the cell phone traffic info system (by the way, if cell phone usage while driving is so dangerous, why is there an entire government program predicated on cell phone use while driving?), except of course, those of us who have know idea what the three digit road number equivalents of the street names are.
Okay, the street name changes are bad enough, but at least two communities nearby decided that for some reason Dania and Hallandale hadn't been good enough for nearly a century. Somehow it was important to change their names to Dania Beach and Hallandale Beach. Aarghh!!!
But that's not the topper. In 2000 I was shocked to learn that venerable Dade County, so named for probably 150 years, had decided that despite the example of no less a major municipality than Chicago, that apparently wasn't good enough. They decided they needed to become Miami-Dade County (if you didn't know, Chicago is in Cook County). Please. No matter to me--I'll never call it that. It'll always be Dade County to me. But it sets my teeth on edge every time I hear it.
Don't get me started on Washington National Airport.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
Mike

Having lived in Northern Calif (within a 50 mile radius of San Francisco), for the last 25 years, the "the 101" is NOT called "the 101" here. It's called simply "101". However, there is a highway called the "Nimitz" (named after the admiral, I believe) and it's called "the Nimitz" in traffic reports, etc.
I told someone how to get to my neck of the woods from San Jose, I'd say:
"Take 280 North, up thru 19th (never Presidio Parkway), cross the Golden Gate, to 101 North. Then get off at the 116 Hwy exit, etc."
A person in LA, might say:
"take the 280 north, up thru the Presido Parkway, to the 101 North, etc."
This is a totally So. Cal. thing, as far as I can tell, tho I'm sure it will creep to us soon enough.
MJ Wallace

Totally!
"Leon" wrote in message

_So_ totally!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/29/06

Pennsyltucky always used to name the roads. The Lincoln Highway, The Baltimore Turnpike, The Pennsylvania Turnpike, The Lancaster Pike, etc.
Words do fail in certain situations, however.
I live off of South Gulph Road. There is a North Gulph Road. There is also an Old Gulph Road and a New Gulph Road. To add to the confusion, there is and Upper Gulph Road and a Lower Gulph Road.
There is also a road that is simply called Gulph Road.
What I really don't like is that there are a bunch of Street Roads, which, although not technically an oxymoron, is entirely too close when you are trying to give directions.
The kicker is that there is a West Street Road Turnpike and that I often have to direct folks to go South on it.
Regards,
Tom Watson
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 /
Yeah, but here in northern California there's an "East Nicolas", but no "Nicolas" to be seen.
Go figure.
-Zz

Zz Yzx wrote:

Coming south on I5/99 towards LA, there's a large green sign that says simply "The Old Road." I always got a chuckle out of that sign.
--
It's turtles, all the way down