SoCal (Simi Valley) Woodworking...

I am moving to Simi Valley, CA tomorrow from Dallas, TX. There we had several Rocklers and Woodcrafts all within 45 minutes of where I lived. Not knowing the lay of the land, does anyone here know any WW supply shops in east Ventura or within, say, 30-40 minutes of east Simi? I saw that there are Rocklers in Pasadena and Torrance. But I don't know which is "close".

I appreciate any feedback. Thanks, Dave

Reply to
pharmdave

Simi Valley isn't close to anywhere else in Los Angeles...;^)

Actually you can get to either Torrance or Pasadena fairly easily from there but they aren't close.

Coming from Texas you might have a different scale of what constitutes close.

Pasadena is East on the 118 to the 210 and off at Rosemead.

Torrance is East on the 118 to the 405 and then South. Don't know where the Rockler store is down there, I shop at the Pasadena branch.

I'm making an educated guess that you can get to the Pasadena store quicker than the Torrance one. Depending on traffic of course but the 210 typically flows much faster than does the 405.

Welcome to the neighborhood, so to speak...

John

Reply to
John Emmons

I know that this is way off topic, but I had to bring it up:

I was recently in CA with my fiancee visiting her family. I'm born and raised in Western Pennsylvania and I just couldn't get over calling the highways "the" - as in "the 210" or "the 405". When we got home, I tried referring to local highways the same way, but it just sounds so wrong: "the 79" or "the 279".

Sorry for the babbling...

Reply to
Mike

You evidently didn't stick around long enough to pick up on the other thing peculiar to SoCal freeways, NAMES.

I-5 runs from San Diego to Seattle.

Here in SoCal it is also known as "The Golden State", "The Santa Ana" and at least one other name I can't remember right now.

Think it is a holdover back to the days when SoCal had freeways long before the interstate system.

Back then they assigned names.

Even back in your part of the country, you will find people still refer to US30 as the "Lincoln Highway".

I'm with you, highways have numbers.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Here in Detroit you can take I-75 to "The Fisher" and then connect with "The Chrysler" before you realize that you've been rudely handled.

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Most things from CA sound really wrong when taken anywhere else....

Tim Douglass

Tim Douglass

Mike

Having lived in Northern Calif (within a 50 mile radius of San Francisco), for the last 25 years, the "the 101" is NOT called "the 101" here. It's called simply "101". However, there is a highway called the "Nimitz" (named after the admiral, I believe) and it's called "the Nimitz" in traffic reports, etc.

I told someone how to get to my neck of the woods from San Jose, I'd say:

"Take 280 North, up thru 19th (never Presidio Parkway), cross the Golden Gate, to 101 North. Then get off at the 116 Hwy exit, etc."

A person in LA, might say:

"take the 280 north, up thru the Presido Parkway, to the 101 North, etc."

This is a totally So. Cal. thing, as far as I can tell, tho I'm sure it will creep to us soon enough.

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

Pennsyltucky always used to name the roads. The Lincoln Highway, The Baltimore Turnpike, The Pennsylvania Turnpike, The Lancaster Pike, etc.

Words do fail in certain situations, however.

I live off of South Gulph Road. There is a North Gulph Road. There is also an Old Gulph Road and a New Gulph Road. To add to the confusion, there is and Upper Gulph Road and a Lower Gulph Road.

There is also a road that is simply called Gulph Road.

What I really don't like is that there are a bunch of Street Roads, which, although not technically an oxymoron, is entirely too close when you are trying to give directions.

The kicker is that there is a West Street Road Turnpike and that I often have to direct folks to go South on it.

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

It took me a while to get used to that when I moved to SoCal from Florida. 'Course I lived far enough south that the Santa Ana freeway for me was going North on the 5. I lived off the 241 Foothills toll road, IIRC.

It's been 10 years since we abandoned all that for Texas and the dear old 290 Northwest Freeway. All our freeways and toll roads here have both names & numbers. I grew up down around the Gulf Freeway, I45 South.

People get so confused when you tell them to go East on 610 North until it turns into 610 East, then go South to I10 East if you want to get from my house to Beaumont. Then I help them out by telling them just go East on the North Loop, South on the East Loop, then East on the East Freeway. Clears it right up.

John

Reply to
John Mc

No need to apologize. Irritates the heck out of me; it's a very annoying habit with no real good reason for being other than somebody's idea that it sounds cool. They are doing the same thing here in Tucson, "Traffic on THE

10 is blocked at Congress ..., Everything looking good on THE 19." Folks, it's I-10 or Interstate 10. THE 10 is Bo Derek, OK? [Well, sort-of, I was always more partial to Cheryl Tiegs myself]. +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Yeah, but here in northern California there's an "East Nicolas", but no "Nicolas" to be seen.

Go figure.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

In San Francisco, near the east side of the Bay Bridge, you can drive on I-80 Eastbound and I-580 Westbound at the SAME TIME. Go figure.

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Reply to
pharmdave

Well to be truthful I don't know. I don't live in that part of Los Angeles county. I know of the Rockler store in Pasadena and I know that there are more around.

For all I know there could be one in Simi Valley itself. I was simply going off what the OP asked about.

John E.

Reply to
John Emmons

Not unique to CA. In Houston, we have the Southwest Freeway, Katy Freeway, Northwest Freeway, North Freeway, Eastex Freeway, Beaumont Freeway, Gulf Freeway, NolanRyan Expressway and the list goes on. These are all highways entering and leaving Houston. San Antonio, Austin, Dallas, have names also.

Reply to
Leon

Totally!

Reply to
Leon

_So_ totally!

Reply to
Swingman

Coming south on I5/99 towards LA, there's a large green sign that says simply "The Old Road." I always got a chuckle out of that sign.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

And your compass heading is Northbound.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

"pharmdave" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

There's lots of places that aren't Rockler. Find a copy of the magazine/newsletter called Woodworking West. Very SoCal oriented, and lots of advertising from SoCal shops. Just not national chains.

Patriarch, near Oakland, in the north...

Reply to
Patriarch