Smooth finish on MDF

Page 2 of 2

Thanks dingbat.
I was considering trying Screwfix's product. It certainly can't be worse than the International stuff.
You can get Zinsser B-I-N in the UK, so I've sent them an email asking about suitability.
I've previously also tried spray cans of automotive primer (Halfords), but it's just absorbed by the MDF and doesn't actually do anything useful.
Sploo.

That rather depends upon *which* stuff. International make a primer that is the best I have ever seen (for your purpose). It was originally formulated to fill the grain on Phillipine mahogany in marine applications...dries fast, sands very easily. Don't recall the ID# but the last time I checked (couple of years) it was running about $80/gal.
-- dadiOH ____________________________
The only product I could find here in the UK was "International MDF Primer".
I used it to prime some MDF loudspeakers I built (with a brush). I left the primed boxes for a couple of days (at roughly 68 degrees F and low humidity). When I tried to sand it the primer clogged the paper, and came off in little rolls - basically it hadn't fully dried and was still slightly plastic.
I (tediously) sanded all the primer off with a powered sander, and bought another batch (with a different batch code).
This time I used a roller, then left the boxes in a drying room (around 80F) for a week. Guess what happened when I sanded it again? Yep. Same result.
I did contact International to work out what went wrong. They sent me a catalogue. Thanks.
What was the primer you've seen?
Sploo.

Sorry, but as I said I don't recall the number. Been too long. "International #62" sticks in my mind but I have no idea if that is right or not.
I used to use it a lot when I had a yacht, both on it and other wood projects, but that has been a while back. Nowadays, I just use auto body primer if I want one that sands well.