Sliding dovetail angle for sliding

Hi
Does it make a difference what angle dovetail bit I use for a sliding dovetail. I am (finally) making a few cribbage boards that the bottom slides from the top and that is where you can store the cards and pins.
Any thoughts?
Thanks
Larry C
On 6/30/2009 2:05 PM Larry C spake thus:

The standard ones with about a 15 angle seem to work fine for most apps. I just finished a wooden tripod whose legs use sliding dovetails, using the standard size bit.

Larry C wrote:

The usual one...greater angle with soft woods, lesser one with hard woods but either works for either.
--

dadiOH

The greater the angle, the looser the door can be and still be retained. I'd use a softwood bit.
I'm a bit confused. You say "that the bottom slides from the top and that is where you can store the cards and pins."
IF what you have is a box, with holes drilled in the top for the pegs, and want the bottom of the box to be able to be slid out the bottom end of the box to access the inside of the box where the pegs and cards are stored - like this ascii "drawing"
THEN - you've be cutting the sliding dovetail GROOVE close to the bottom edge of the box - leaving at least a quarter inch of "meat" below the bottom of the groove. SO - I personally would go with a simple straight sides groove - much easier to do and tweek to fit than a dovetailed sliding groove. BUT - if you absolutely have to go with a sliding dovetail - then go with the shallowest angle you can get - say 6 or 7 degrees - 7 and 8 degree bits are easy to find.

I thought the sliding dovetail would look better than a straight side. That opinion may change once the first few hours don't go well.
Larry C