Sliding dovetail

I've been assigned to make a little step stool for my granddaughter and want to attach the full width legs to the top using a sliding dovetail. Material is maple. Seems a bit much to expect to rout the dovetail in the top in one pass. Alternative is to use a straight bit in increments and then come in with the dovetail bit. Or maybe use the dado head to clear most of the waste. Any thoughts?
Larry
use a straight bit, then without moving the fence, change bits to a dovetail bit, set the height correctly and remove waste.
On 8/1/2011 10:17 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

On 8/1/2011 9:22 PM, tiredofspam wrote:

And there you have it ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010
------------- "tiredofspam" wrote in message
use a straight bit, then without moving the fence, change bits to a dovetail bit, set the height correctly and remove waste.
----------- On 8/1/2011 10:17 PM, Z3Driver wrote:

But remember you gotta' have the depth of cut with the dovetail bit ZACTLY right the first time. There's no redo's up or down.
-Zz

Those should be hand-cut, Z. Auger bit and corner chisel for the inner ends, then dovetail or Zona saw for the straight cuts.
Otherwise, your "alternative" is the proper way to do it the Normite way: Incrementally with a straight bit, then a dovetail bit to take out the wings.
-- Win first, Fight later.
--martial principle of the Samurai
Thanks, friends. Made a trial run and got a pretty good fit. The pin -- about 7 inches long -- was nice and tight, although the shoulders sat about 1/32 short of flush. A couple more trial shots and I should have it tight all around.